WIP: Basic Roads

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
N_Molson

Re: WIP: Basic Roads

Post by N_Molson »

Ephesus :

With the pathing files :

https://gofile.io/d/r4ad7I

Note : made some minor modifications to the Dragontails to connect roads and some tracks.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

emmathepony wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:34 am I'm literally sitting here like :o the roads, the lined-map and then combined with other graphics mods makes the game jaw droppingly amazing...
Thanks, it's nice to hear this.

@N_Molson: Thanks for the pathing, I will take a look later and see if I can merge.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:26 pm @haloterm: Thanks for the pics and the kind words. This week has been quite a tough one personally, and it's good to see something nice. Thanks.

About the 'bridge' - as far as I am aware all of the paths are on land but I did skirt coastlines (for the views I hoped) and this one must be a bit too far. :D It's unintentional and I can easily re-route the path onto land only.. I'd have done that already except you seemed to quite like it.

I'll open it up for opinions - should I correct this, or leave this odd looking road bridge? :)
Hope you're fine!

Oh, if you ask me, keep the "bridge", I like it.

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

One small suggestion : it would be very handy to have the "ports" filter in the editor, because again those are places that should always be connected. ;)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Pollskii wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:19 am just gave it a try and this plus your new travel mod is the coolest thing ever added to this game :) got very confused about the tracks being covered by snow and thought they were broken but then I travelled to a region without snow and found them easily lmao. excited to see this combined with interesting terrain
Thanks, glad you like it! :D

It's released now on nexus.

Only 6 regions still to complete now.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

I'd like to do Koegria, I think I will be able to path it tomorrow :geek:

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

So, Koegria :

I checked several places in-games, and honestly I have little to say. It works fine, roads are where there should be. Really cool to be able to take your horse and just let the road carry you from a place to another. The only thing is that we'll have to check regions frontiers after merging, this is where I foresee some possible issues. But nothing that playtesting can't solve.

About tracks in winter : while it makes perfect sense to have them covered by snow, a "wagon wheels track" or "footpaths" texture would still be nice, giving a hint to the player.

About the "roadbridge" : what about ferries ? Maybe even magical ferries ? Why Breton mages would not use their magic skills to help people to cross rivers and make quick money ? After all there is a Mages Guild in any serious town :lol: Even a NPC on a raft taking you 5 gold to cross would be fine and immersive enough (but I like the "Breton magic" idea). Just the road on water seems a bit rough (what about boats that might want to cross ?)

So enough blah, here are the path files :

https://gofile.io/d/oP4mD1

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

N_Molson wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:52 pm About tracks in winter : while it makes perfect sense to have them covered by snow, a "wagon wheels track" or "footpaths" texture would still be nice, giving a hint to the player.
This turned out to be annoyingly difficult because the game doesn't have enough tile variations. Any attempt at making a path with a direction winds up with all kinds of weird results like the road being a set of cross-ways wagon tracks.
This would probably need some core change to make it possible to stick in more textures that the game managed to place correctly. And that could be hard seeing as vanilla Daggerfall does not have that.

R34P3R

Post by R34P3R »

What key do I press to toggle the path following on and off? I don't see it listed anywhere.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

R34P3R wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:44 pm What key do I press to toggle the path following on and off? I don't see it listed anywhere.
You set it in your mod settings.

Default is "F".

Make sure you have nothing else bound to whatever key you set.