[MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
monobelisk

Re: [MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Post by monobelisk »

Midknightprince wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:52 pm So in my testing (10.25) the airship (for me), with this mod doesn't work...
Huh, so Interesting Terrains does work with 10.25 then? Someone on Nexus told me it didn't, so that's good to know for when the stable 10.25 drops!
Midknightprince wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:52 pm You can click on the ship, get on it, tell it where to go, but you fall off, it gets stuck in hills and trying to go up them, and you cannot re-click it to stop it, get off, turn on ropes or anything.
I did request they update it to work with this, so I'll just wait.
If you say it works on this upcoming version, I am so down with that (if I can get the airship to basic functionality (I will fly the ship manually if i have too) It's cool with me)).
So this is REAL good news (I see these mountains you've made, and I love it)...
Well, I didn't experience any of those issues in the upcoming version of Interesting Terrains, except getting stuck bumping into the tallest mountain peaks. So that's definitely good news :)
Midknightprince wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:52 pm P.s. Interesting terrains DOES work with mountains and hills....at least in 10.24 for me it does..it just adds more hills to the terrains, and doesn't seems to break yours but enhance it (you've gotta put interesting BELOW mountains and hills in mod order)..-just a heads up.
Now for a bit of bad news - the upcoming release won't be compatible with Mountains and Hills, ironically because of the changes I'm making in order to make it more compatible with other mods (implementing a custom terrain sampler). So that means they'll be completely mutually exclusive, and whichever is loaded last will make the other non-functional.
Midknightprince wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:52 pm P.P.S. with the roads they're talking about, this thing is gonna change Daggerfall forever IMO, can't wait.
Yeah, it's gonna be amazing! Airships, roads, docks and ships - the Iliac Bay is gonna feel so much more alive!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

That was me on the Nexus :D HI !

Yes yours works, it works in 10.24 also (what I'm playing on), I was saying Airships & this one don't work right together, that's it.
You said you fixed it on your end, so I'll just wait till you update it, unless I'm missing a version (latest one on nexus as of a few days ago).

It is cool about mountains and hill, mods come and go as the mood fits with me, right now, I wanna jump off mountains, and/or sail around them ;)

tbh what I really want to do is find a good spot on a mountain ledge (they do show up), set up camp from climates/cloaks, then go hunting while surviving the elements and checking out the view.
I got plans for this thing :P
Check out my YouTube Channel!

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

Midknightprince wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:03 am That was me on the Nexus :D HI !

Yes yours works, it works in 10.24 also (what I'm playing on), I was saying Airships & this one don't work right together, that's it.
You said you fixed it on your end, so I'll just wait till you update it, unless I'm missing a version (latest one on nexus as of a few days ago).

It is cool about mountains and hill, mods come and go as the mood fits with me, right now, I wanna jump off mountains, and/or sail around them ;)

tbh what I really want to do is find a good spot on a mountain ledge (they do show up), set up camp from climates/cloaks, then go hunting while surviving the elements and checking out the view.
Ah, what a small world it is. Hi :D

The last release was Aug 23, so you're not missing anything. I'm taking a bit of time with the next release, partly because I'm doing some major restructuring for compatibility as mentioned, and partly because I've been working on even better mountains (the mountains in the current release pale in comparison).

Midknightprince

monobelisk wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:40 pm
Midknightprince wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:03 am That was me on the Nexus :D HI !

Ah, what a small world it is. Hi :D

The last release was Aug 23, so you're not missing anything. I'm taking a bit of time with the next release, partly because I'm doing some major restructuring for compatibility as mentioned, and partly because I've been working on even better mountains (the mountains in the current release pale in comparison).
Yeah they're a bit high (the mountains).
Something I'll touch on, I tried with realistic weapons last night and everything works except when your going down hills.

Your mod adds no fall damage.
Realistic wagons makes wagon and horse act like a physical object you have to keep with you, or leave.

When on WITH realistic wagons, instead of taking fall damage you dismount going down steep inclines (lots of those in mountain regions).
As a result both wagon, and horse disappear (maybe they clip under the ground ?).
So you'll be riding (doesnt matter of tedious is on or IF YOU DO IT MANUALLY same thing happens) down the mountain slope, when all of a sudden, the dismount notices pops up (a feature of realistic wagons), and your standing there, no way to summon your horse/wagon (they don't show up in the menu) and they're gone..
Now I tried it with fall damage ON, and instead of everything disappearing YOU DO TAKE FALL DAMAGE, and you DON'T dismount that's why I'm posting here.
I think it has something to do with that option (no fall damage).
I didn't make it, and I'm no coder, so this is just my observation. it may not even be interesting terrains, and/or you may have already resolved this, I'm just putting this here so you know what's happening on my end.
I have already found a work around in my game (walk REAL slow down the mountains manually), so no worries, just thought you might want to know.
Last edited by Midknightprince on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

Midknightprince wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:27 pm Something I'll touch on, I tried with realistic weapons last night and everything works except when your going down hills.

Realistic wagons makes wagon and horse act like a physical object you have to keep with you, or leave.

When on WITH realistic wagons, instead of taking fall damage you dismount going down steep inclines (lots of those in mountain regions).
As a result both wagon, and horse disappear (maybe they clip under the ground ?).
So you'll be riding (doesnt matter of tedious is on or IF YOU DO IT MANUALLY same thing happens) down the mountain slope, when all of a sudden, the dismount notices pops up (a feature of realistic wagons), and your standing there, no way to summon your horse/wagon (they don't show up in the menu) and they're gone..
Now I tried it with fall damage ON, and instead of everything disappearing YOU DO TAKE FALL DAMAGE, and you DON'T dismount that's why I'm posting here.
I didn't make it, and I'm no coder, so this is just my observation. it may not even be interesting terrains, and/or you may have already resolved this, I'm just putting this here so you know what's happening on my end.
I have already found a work around in my game (walk REAL slow down the mountains manually), so no worries, just thought you might want to know.
Well, I'll admit that the Tedious Travel compatibility workaround I made is a rather ugly hack (there's no way to communicate with that mod, so I had to get creative), and eventually I will remove it completely - as I understand it, Tedious Travel has been abandoned for a while, and Hazelnut is working on a successor. But thanks for pointing it out - perhaps I can stabilize it a bit while we wait for the upcoming travel mod :)

Midknightprince

monobelisk wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:46 pm
Midknightprince wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:27 pm Something I'll touch on, I tried with realistic weapons last night and everything works except when your going down hills.

Well, I'll admit that the Tedious Travel compatibility workaround I made is a rather ugly hack (there's no way to communicate with that mod, so I had to get creative), and eventually I will remove it completely - as I understand it, Tedious Travel has been abandoned for a while, and Hazelnut is working on a successor. But thanks for pointing it out - perhaps I can stabilize it a bit while we wait for the upcoming travel mod :)
I think it's JUST realistic wagons and this one, NOT tedious travel; if you turn realistic wagons OFF, it works fine, and even with the no fall damage OFF in yours you still dismount inadvertently, and lose your horse and wagon, so same outcome.
You still DO take fall damage, buy only on slopes that are not so steep, on ones that are you dismount.
So It kinda breaks realistic wagons, sorry if I wasn't more clear, and like I said it may not even be yours, I just wanted you to know.
Now I'm going to put something up on realistic wagons, let him know..
I'm starting to think I'm the mod compatibility tester guy, that's all I do :lol:

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

Midknightprince wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:34 pm I think it's JUST realistic wagons and this one, NOT tedious travel; if you turn realistic wagons OFF, it works fine, and even with the no fall damage OFF in yours you still dismount inadvertently, and lose your horse and wagon, so same outcome.
You still DO take fall damage, buy only on slopes that are not so steep, on ones that are you dismount.
So It kinda breaks realistic wagons, sorry if I wasn't more clear, and like I said it may not even be yours, I just wanted you to know.
Now I'm going to put something up on realistic wagons, let him know..
I'm starting to think I'm the mod compatibility tester guy, that's all I do :lol:
Haha, you're definitely picking up a lot of compatibility issues. But that's a good thing, because mod development, at least in my case, leaves very little time for compatibility testing (let alone playing the actual damn game), so any assistance and feedback is highly appreciated :)

Midknightprince

Agreed

monobelisk

New version released

Post by monobelisk »

Version 0.4.0 released.

The mod has undergone a major internal overhaul, moving away from the terrain generation as a post-processing job, towards using a custom Terrain Sampler and (in the future) Terrain Texturer. This makes the terrain generation process fit organically into DFUnity's terrain generation flow, and provides better compatibility with the game itself, along with other mods.

The terrain is still based on the original terrain - the logic of the vanilla Terrain Sampler has been meticulously replicated in the GPU heightmap generation code to ensure that the base terrain matches the vanilla terrain as close as possible.

The terrain itself has undergone quite a facelift - two additional mountain types has been added, and everything has been reworked to better comply with the natural laws of mountain formation. The terrain has, overall, become significantly more balanced, natural looking and interesting.

See the first post or the Nexus page for more details.

Midknightprince

Any known incompatibility issues before going in ?