(Vibrant) Terrain Flats

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
jman0war

(Vibrant) Terrain Flats

Post by jman0war »

Here are ALL the Daggerfall Terrain flats, faithfully re-painted by me.
There are over 372 flats total (including a number of copy and pastes).

This is project i started way back during DaggerXL days.
At the time contributors were posting on the XL forum 'claiming' sets of daggerfall art that they were going to re-paint, and I noticed that nobody was claiming any of the terrain flats.
So that's where i started.
At the beginning i didn't imagine i was going to actually paint every single tree, plant and bush, and figured that other artists would see the progress and join me in this endeavour.
That never happened and after a while DaggerXL fizzled out, so too did my repainting project.

I was always fan and user of InterKarma's Daggerfall Tools so would check-in from time to time and eventually he started DFUnity.
I picked up this project again in earnest and made good headway until i got burned-out by my job.
It took another couple YEARS before i picked up this project again and thankfully the lockdown i'm living under atm has given me lots of time and indoor confinement to get this project over the line.

Mod is finally up on NexusMods:

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/82/

Attachments
Jman0wars Terrain Flats 2.jpg
Jman0wars Terrain Flats 2.jpg (590.07 KiB) Viewed 17165 times
Jman0wars Terrain Flats - Summer.jpg
Jman0wars Terrain Flats - Summer.jpg (399.26 KiB) Viewed 17165 times
Last edited by jman0war on Sun May 10, 2020 7:25 am, edited 22 times in total.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Jay_H

Re: Terrain Flats

Post by Jay_H »

Excellent stuff! Thanks for bringing this over! :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

wow these look great!
I would even go so far to say those are a reference example for how to keep the original flair and still do a higher resolution version of it! ;)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

This is great, good work :)

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

Thanks.
I don't think the terrain flats are mod-able yet.

I wonder has anybody reached out to others from DaggerfallXL that were working on the Texture project there?
I imagine they'd be happy to have their work in Daggerfall Unity.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Arl

Post by Arl »

Amazing job! they look fantastic.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

So i'm looking back over the 510 mountain terrain flats i didn't quite finish back in 2011.
I don't remember the steps exactly, someone had put up a really informative post on the old DaggerXL forums about transparency and feathering the edges.
Anyway i crudely started this one back then and worked on it this eve.

They made the original just 15x11 pixels? Man that is small.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey that's lovely! Very pretty and in the same style. Great work!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

jman0war wrote:They actually got more perspective in 15x11 pixels than i did.
Made some adjustments
y3m5_BO4SiFTIIoEknTAcLcBHNTajiXFj5wXjhSnCthVBUa3lfvLt1f3N29o.jpg
y3m5_BO4SiFTIIoEknTAcLcBHNTajiXFj5wXjhSnCthVBUa3lfvLt1f3N29o.jpg (4.1 KiB) Viewed 22443 times
jman0war wrote:Any advice about how large these should be?
Looking at DFImaging exports, the rather human looking 1st tree 16-0, is just 70x84 pixels.

I painted mine quite large, 2048 at largest dimension.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!An4TIiBt2x9fgQ83ERNKMnK3cS_N

No big deal at the time, except when it's latter scaled down in PS.
It gets blurry as the program compresses.

At (the old forums) DaggerXL they were saying to scale up by 4x

Which is still really small in this case: 280x336.
I think i need to stay within the normal dim like 256,512,1024,2048

So should this tree be 512x512 ?
TheLacus wrote:I think 512 for vegetation and 1024 for big trees should be a good size.
tyhender wrote:^Omg,I think that's too much. Daggerfall Unity already lags a bit(atleast for me on all the graphical enhancements), and having loaded so much high-res pictures at once... You know that GTX980 has only 4GB of VRAM?

But I have a question, does anybody here plan to replace terrain flats with actual meshes? World seems so empty with flats.
jman0war wrote:
tyhender wrote: But I have a question, does anybody here plan to replace terrain flats with actual meshes? World seems so empty with flats.
If higher rez images with transparency on a 2d flat causes frame rate drop, what would happen with having thousands of polys and textures?

Personally i find what makes Daggerfall so unique is the artistic stylization of Mark Jones.
So i aim to preserve that.
I think it would more efficient to replace the low rez images with higher rez ones, than it would be to model and texture Daggerfall trees, bushes, misc flats.

Some stuff probably should be modeled, like the statues and dungeon misc furniture.
Maybe even the enemies, but i'd love to see a animated high rez recreation of them.
And hopefully will attempt to paint one, someday.
TheLacus wrote: Soon...
Only towns exteriors for now :)
jman0war wrote:Wow, good stuff!
Last edited by TheLacus on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

reposting this