Wilderness Overhaul

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: Wilderness Overhaul

Post by l3lessed »

Good to know. We just need a skilled modeler without a real life and with an unhealthy obsession with modding to join on and start dumping all the differing models all the modders are wanting for their stuff. :lol:
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:09 pm Good to know. We just need a skilled modeler without a real life and with an unhealthy obsession with modding to join on and start dumping all the differing models all the modders are wanting for their stuff. :lol:
Sounds like a description of me, just without the modeler part :D
Trading Doge at 2am...
In Julianos we Trust.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Daniel87 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:07 pm
l3lessed wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:58 pm I was wondering, if we could get nature models, like large granite boulders, dirt piles, small rocks, things like that, and import them as a prefab, and then have the code spawn them randomly. As an example, I saw random grey patches of granite texture mixed into the hilly landscape; could it be setup to spawn a boulder model on small section, so the hillside terrain has random granite builders showing in places?

Importing my particle system as a precreated fab wasn't to hard once I understood how it works.
I think that should be no problem. The model just needs to get told what normal the vertex or quad has it is spawning on and a max slope. But they should get used sparsely, as a 3D model will suck more resources than a simple 2D sprite
You can already replace the nature sprites with models, and it will use them at terrain distance 1 and normal billboards for dist > 1 as you can see in the default terrain nature implementation. You custom one could do similar for any extra models you wanted to appear. I'd recommend that you only place them at dist = 1 and not further away, although you can't add a billboard to the batch since that's restricted to the 32 flats in the archive. Possibly the model could have flat LODs so you could put it any distance and not set the mesh used property. I think I'd leave this to a phase 2 though. Let me know if you want info about how it works if you get to that.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:23 pm
Daniel87 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:07 pm
l3lessed wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:58 pm I was wondering, if we could get nature models, like large granite boulders, dirt piles, small rocks, things like that, and import them as a prefab, and then have the code spawn them randomly. As an example, I saw random grey patches of granite texture mixed into the hilly landscape; could it be setup to spawn a boulder model on small section, so the hillside terrain has random granite builders showing in places?

Importing my particle system as a precreated fab wasn't to hard once I understood how it works.
I think that should be no problem. The model just needs to get told what normal the vertex or quad has it is spawning on and a max slope. But they should get used sparsely, as a 3D model will suck more resources than a simple 2D sprite
You can already replace the nature sprites with models, and it will use them at terrain distance 1 and normal billboards for dist > 1 as you can see in the default terrain nature implementation. You custom one could do similar for any extra models you wanted to appear. I'd recommend that you only place them at dist = 1 and not further away, although you can't add a billboard to the batch since that's restricted to the 32 flats in the archive. Possibly the model could have flat LODs so you could put it any distance and not set the mesh used property. I think I'd leave this to a phase 2 though. Let me know if you want info about how it works if you get to that.
I am no good with blender, and without models there will be no need for implementation. But I will definitely restore the 3D model option again. I think meanwhile I removed it from my script as I couldn't get my mod to run with the 3D tree mod and then decided to go with just sprites.
Will definitely check if I can reimplement that 3D models support that was in the original script once I finished all biomes.
In Julianos we Trust.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Hey everyone!

Work on the mod has NOT halted, I was just too busy to do daily status updates.

After all work done, I came to realize, that I need to put more work into the texturing of the terrain and cannot just place nature billboards on a
dull textured terrain.
First, debugging and testing different settings for the TerrainTexturing.cs was bothersome and took a lot of time, so I spent a couple of hours
recreating the Perlin Noise algorithm from Unity in JavaScript and created a small tool for myself to test the look of different settings.

The tool is basically just an html, css and js file. It also offers different color palettes for the biomes of Daggerfall.

It took a while to recreate the Perlin Noise of Unity, as that one is not open source and easily accessible but I think I got mine adjusted well enough to reflect the original Perlin Noise, so the terrain should look pretty much like the noise does in the web browser.

Now I will spend a couple of days redesigning the terrain textures for different climates until I am satisfied with the looks, then I will resume work on nature billboard placement to fit the terrain.

Here some screenshots of the tool:
Spoiler!

Source to the tool I created: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2o243hzdmilpt ... l.zip?dl=0
In Julianos we Trust.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im sure when these 2 parts of a mod combine, it will be awesome. Hopefully it will work with terrain generators like Interesting terrain etc

reaven

Post by reaven »

Impressive, nice work Daniel!

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Okay, I think I figured out a good system for the texturing of the terrain.

Basically mountain peaks and everything above the tree line is increasingly rocky, while lower areas get more dirt.
In the mountain climate, dirt is where needle forests will be spawned, while flowers mainly grow on grass, where they get direct sunlight.

The tricky part is, figuring out the min and max height of terrains from a specific climate zone.

Here some screenshots:
Spoiler!

In Julianos we Trust.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:04 pm Im sure when these 2 parts of a mod combine, it will be awesome. Hopefully it will work with terrain generators like Interesting terrain etc
It should work, as long as the mod doesn't alter the maxTerrainHeight and stays true to the vanilla scale.
What I am doing for the most part, is to alter the persistance of the terrain noise in regard to the tile height in regard to the global scale (0 - 1) where 1 is maxTerrainHeight and 0 is oceanLevel. For woodlands and mountains it works pretty well so far. Let's hope the other climates won't cause any trouble but I don't think so.
In Julianos we Trust.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

reaven wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 am Impressive, nice work Daniel!
Thank you! :) Wish I could put in more time, but am currently a little busy with another game project (Dungeon Keeper clone) and building a front and backend for my business.

If you're interested, here are some screenshots of my dungeon keeper clone :)
The idea is that your imps can only see in the dark, when the tiles owned by you are lit, which happens in a "sonar" like fashion. Every heart beat of your dungeon heart, a pulse of light is radiating through the map. Upgrading the heart increases the reach of this light pulse and therefore the max size of your dungeon and the distance, certain rooms receive energy to do their things. In total darkness, your imps are blindly walking around, bumping into things and completely defenseless.

The map is procedurally generated as well as each block, all the vertices and polygons. It was quite a pain to get it all done.

Still struggling with the task system and finding the closes imp to a work task without causing heavy lags.

Last edited by Daniel87 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Julianos we Trust.