Wilderness Overhaul

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Hazelnut

Re: Believable Wilderness

Post by Hazelnut »

Daniel87 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:36 pm Added the settings for players to decide how much of the surrounding area around different kinds of locations they wish to clear of vegetation.
The player can also just untick "Dynamic Nature Clearance" and set a general nature clearance for all locations. The Daggerfall Unity standard was a general nature clearance of 4.
I need to check the roads around locations after doing this setting change, looking at the roads code I think I may have removed the reliance in an update but I should double check. Have you seen any issues with the TO/BR circumnavigation yourself at all?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Daniel87

Re: Wilderness Overhaul

Post by Daniel87 »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:27 pm
Daniel87 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:36 pm Added the settings for players to decide how much of the surrounding area around different kinds of locations they wish to clear of vegetation.
The player can also just untick "Dynamic Nature Clearance" and set a general nature clearance for all locations. The Daggerfall Unity standard was a general nature clearance of 4.
I need to check the roads around locations after doing this setting change, looking at the roads code I think I may have removed the reliance in an update but I should double check. Have you seen any issues with the TO/BR circumnavigation yourself at all?
Last time I checked, I crashed into a village, so there was no circumnavigation at work.
But I did not use BR, only TO. I need both for it to work? Then it might still work, as I dont mess with the original location rect data. I pull the xMax/xMin,yMax and yMin from it out and create my own rect. As I saw in your mod, you also use the location datas rect and not the one created in TerrainNature.cs
In Julianos we Trust.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Okay well in that case then it should be fine. To answer your query, yes you need TO and Basic Roads for circumnavigation - where you can stand at the outskirts and press a key to accelerate around the location stopping at any roads leading away.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:48 pm Okay well in that case then it should be fine. To answer your query, yes you need TO and Basic Roads for circumnavigation - where you can stand at the outskirts and press a key to accelerate around the location stopping at any roads leading away.
Awesome, I had no idea of this feature :D Definitely gonna try it out when I get the time to play the game again. Right now, the only thing I do with DFU is modding.
In Julianos we Trust.

Midknightprince

Re: Believable Wilderness

Post by Midknightprince »

Daniel87 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:49 pm
I promise, I will not dive into advanced terrain texturing (Oh how I hate this nasty, plain perlin noise distribution of dirt, stone and grass tiles) before uploading v1.0 for everyone to play and give feedback on bugs and weird stuff going on. The world of DFU is big and I am pretty sure that I will be missing many bugs, no matter how thoroughly I test it. Still I hope later on to have the time and figure out a better system for texturing the terrain. Maybe only use stone texture for slopes steeper than X degree and dirt for areas around human settlements, as lots of people trample the grass there. Let's see where I will get with this.
If you have not tried it, you should try the Splat Terrain mod https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/66

It makes the ground look pretty good and the water moves around and stuff, pretty trippy when the sun sets especially on the water even without Realtime reflections
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Reworked the mountain climate zone today.
Implemented a tree border in high alpine areas.
Spoiler!
No trees in high alpine areas anymore - on top of the world!

Alpine landscapes features denser forests and wider grass hills with flowers

The lower you get, the denser the forests become and empty grass landscapes become more scarce

Shoreline and small islands were also changed to have a pattern distribution rather than equal distribution of trees
In Julianos we Trust.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Dope. I love the idea of a realistic tree line. Here in the U.S., the Alpine line hits at about 10,000 foot, then after that it transitions to shrub and a sparse old thousand year old, twisted pine here or there.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:21 pm Dope. I love the idea of a realistic tree line. Here in the U.S., the Alpine line hits at about 10,000 foot, then after that it transitions to shrub and a sparse old thousand year old, twisted pine here or there.
Wish I had such billboards in DFU too. I only have Rocks and some weeds + flowers above the tree line :/
In Julianos we Trust.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I was wondering, if we could get nature models, like large granite boulders, dirt piles, small rocks, things like that, and import them as a prefab, and then have the code spawn them randomly. As an example, I saw random grey patches of granite texture mixed into the hilly landscape; could it be setup to spawn a boulder model on small section, so the hillside terrain has random granite builders showing in places?

Importing my particle system as a precreated fab wasn't to hard once I understood how it works.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:58 pm I was wondering, if we could get nature models, like large granite boulders, dirt piles, small rocks, things like that, and import them as a prefab, and then have the code spawn them randomly. As an example, I saw random grey patches of granite texture mixed into the hilly landscape; could it be setup to spawn a boulder model on small section, so the hillside terrain has random granite builders showing in places?

Importing my particle system as a precreated fab wasn't to hard once I understood how it works.
I think that should be no problem. The model just needs to get told what normal the vertex or quad has it is spawning on and a max slope. But they should get used sparsely, as a 3D model will suck more resources than a simple 2D sprite
In Julianos we Trust.