[MOD] Loading Screen

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
AlexanderSig

Re: [MOD] Loading Screen

Post by AlexanderSig »

Jay_H wrote:I decided to take some inspiration from how Oblivion and Skyrim do their loading screens, including some details about major figures in Daggerfall's story. If that's not what you're looking for, feel free to exclude them :)
Good idea! Also, maybe in the future it could be possible to give tips and background info specific to the main quest that you're currently on.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

AlexanderSig wrote:Good idea! Also, maybe in the future it could be possible to give tips and background info specific to the main quest that you're currently on.
I like it. Like for "Concern for Nulfaga," one string might be, "Nulfaga descended into madness after the death of Lysandus," or for one of the Lord Castellian quests, "Lord Castellian is the eldest member of the Wayrest Council. Not all members of the royal family find him endearing."

No idea on whether it's possible, so I'll have to defer to TheLacus :)

Ziune Wolf

Post by Ziune Wolf »

TheLacus wrote:Thank you Jay_H, I really like them!
I'll include your tips with the next version and credit you.

@Tealy Wolf If you have some ideas I'm happy to read them :)
Using the same structure that @Jay_H used, I've added a few additional tips to the list. If any seem out of place, feel free to remove them. Also, note that these are only the prompts I added to the list.

[Internal]

[Generic]

;Some quests are only available to those of high rank in their organization.
;If you've earned more gold than you can carry from a sale, you are given a letter of credit instead.
;You can convert gold into a letter of credit at a bank at the cost of a 1% surcharge.
;The gold in your bank account does not transfer between regions.
;Failing quests lowers your reputation with the respective organization.

[Exterior]

;Gortwog, leader of the orcs, seeks to be officially recognized by the Empire.

[Dungeon]

;Resting can restore your spell points, unless you are a sorcerer.
;Try breaking down a locked door with your fists instead of a weapon to prevent weapon damage.
;Shields of the same type offer the same defense, even if they are made of different materials.
;Ranged attackers resort to melee attacks as you approach them.
;Harmful spells can be reflected back at attackers with spell reflection spells, like Shalidor's Mirror.
;Speed affects both movement speed and attack speed.
;Skeleton Warriors take half damage from weapons with an edge, like blades.
;The undead are not easily fooled by the effects like invisibility or chameleon.
;Warriors and other combat-centric humanoids have more health than rogue or mage-type humanoids.
;Rogue-type humanoids attack faster than mages or warriors.
;The critical strike skill can help you do more damage with weapon attacks.

[Career]

[Race]

;High Elves are known to be immune to paralysis.
;High Elves hail from Summerset(Sumurset) Isle, and are highly regarded as mages.
;The Bretons of High Rock are often excellent wizards of great repute.
;Argonians call Black Marsh, full of forests and swamps, their home.
;At the center of the Dark Elven province of Morrowind lies the ominous Red Mountain volcano.
;Elsweyr is the homeland of the Khajiiti. They are known for being adept thieves.
;Valenwood, the land of the Wood Elves, is full of forests.
;Nords are naturally resistant to cold, and take less damage from cold-based attacks.
;Bretons have an innate resistance to raw magic.
;Redguards, like Nords, are known for being powerful warriors. They hail from Hammerfell.
;Nords inhabit the arctic province of Skyrim.

[Gender]

[Basic]

;If you need to make an expensive purchase, use a letter of credit instead of holding all the gold.

[Advanced]

;Try backing off an enemy before he finishes an attack to dodge it.

[Death]

;If you're having trouble with a certain enemy, try taking a different route to avoid trouble.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Good stuff! I like it :)

Ziune Wolf

Post by Ziune Wolf »

Thanks! I actually wrote some extras as well, given below.

[Generic]

;Gold has weight. Drop off what gold you don't need at the bank to save space.
;Different types of shops sell and buy different types of equipment.
;Higher quality shops have better wares but at a higher cost. Lower quality shops give better prices.
;High-ranking mages can create custom magic items and receive teleportation and Daedra summoning services.
;Members of the Fighters Guild are given free room and board within any of their guild halls.
;Knights of a region get free inn rooms in that region. High-ranking knights get free rooms everywhere.
;If you are diseased, you can get cured at a temple for a fee.
;Rumors say the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood require a special initiation process to become members.

[Exterior]

;The three powers of the Iliac Bay, Daggerfall, Sentinel, and Wayrest, are not on the best of terms.
;Some regions have differing architecture based on geography, climate, and the inhabitants.

[Dungeon]

;Some enemies drain your fatigue instead of health with their attacks.
;Watch your step. Falling from great heights or into hidden traps can be fatal.
;Beware of enemies that can paralyze with their attacks, such as spiders and scorpions.

[Basic]

;You must wait for at least 6 hours after your last skill increase in order to level up.
;Leveling is based on increasing a mixture of your primary, major, and minor skills.
;Staves have the most enchantment points of any weapon for constructing custom magic items.

[Advanced]

;If you must get past an enemy and are having trouble killing it, lure it into a room to bypass it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I think that's some of the best stuff yet :) I'll let TheLacus decide.

Ziune Wolf

Post by Ziune Wolf »

Thanks again. I honestly wouldn't mind all the messages being in there, since it would lessen the likelihood of them being repeated. That, and there are so many little things you can learn in this game that you wouldn't really think about, and they can serve as reminders or pointers. But yes, it's up to TheLacus to decide which ones to include and exclude. :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Thank you both again, I'll release an update with your tips soon.
Jay_H wrote:
AlexanderSig wrote:Good idea! Also, maybe in the future it could be possible to give tips and background info specific to the main quest that you're currently on.
I like it. Like for "Concern for Nulfaga," one string might be, "Nulfaga descended into madness after the death of Lysandus," or for one of the Lord Castellian quests, "Lord Castellian is the eldest member of the Wayrest Council. Not all members of the royal family find him endearing."

No idea on whether it's possible, so I'll have to defer to TheLacus :)
Working with quest can be like opening a can of worms due to high numbers, but if we keep it simple it could work.
For example we can subdivide the main quest in a few sections according to some important events, give tips for joined factions, something specific for past decisions.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Version 2.0
  • Improvements on code design.
  • Migrated from ini to json for tips import.
  • More tips by Jay_H and Tealy Wolf.
Download

@Jay_H and Tealy Wolf
Tips now are on a different level thanks to your contributions, good work!
I moved the strings to an handier format, but it's still very human-readable and you can open the file with notepad as usual.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yeah! :)
I just tested it, and the tips aren't showing for me, nor the backgrounds. I unpacked the zip file into /DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods, overwriting the previous version of the mod.
Here are my settings: