Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Feralwarlord

Re: Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Postby Feralwarlord » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:14 am

VMblast wrote:
Feralwarlord wrote:How goes progress on this mod?

Yeah, it was my fault for not being descriptive to the fullest extent concerning that video (well I thought I did). That video was just suppose to be a visual description, a guideline of some possible things to come if you will. Like an animated storyboard/artboard/concept board. We would need multiple programmers and artists working on it, since my concept was so extensive it would literally redo majority of the game visually (mostly), but retain the very core of the DF and use it as a foundation. Everything else were suppose to be rebuilt and or restructured and also added new technical solution, like adding voxel geometry to simulate vast forests/tall grass fields/deep snow. All of the characters should be translated into 3D geometry, but retaining their original feel and look. My idea/goal was to put accent, as you could see from the videos, on the feeling and atmosphere.

That's a bit disappointing, I hope some people take up the challenge I'd love to see this turned into a mod
VMblast

Postby VMblast » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:35 am

@Feralwarlord
So would I ;)
VMblast

Postby VMblast » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Ok this is sort of message from Gavin and it is considering MOD building doors. Especially when they are moved - custom placed. I hope that this will be possible in the near future. ;)

And thnx for the answer Gav.

Interkarma wrote:Yes, it would be possible. Here's one way this can be accomplished. It will need some coding done first, but the result will be fairly easy for content creators to use. Below, I use the tag DEV to show something developers need to do for enablement, and MOD as something mod creators do to utilise the support.

1. DEV: Create a custom component, let's call it CustomStaticDoor. This carries an empty copy of the StaticDoor information used to enter/exit buildings.
  2. MOD: When creating a mod package with building prefabs, attach a BoxCollider and CustomStaticDoor component to a new GameObject (one for each door). Position GameObject(s) on your door(s) and scale BoxCollider(s) to wrap your door(s) - this is what the player will be clicking on. Make sure BoxColliders are all set to trigger only.
  3. DEV: At time of injecting the prefab, use GetComponents<CustomStaticDoor>() and write the StaticDoor data for that building into all CustomStaticDoor components on that object.
  4. DEV: In PlayerActivate, add a hit check for CustomStaticDoor, pull the StaticDoor data, perform transtion as normal.

Note the above is only possible with a packaged .dfmod asset with building prefabs using support built into core. It won't work with loose model swaps alone, because a model by itself can't carry any scene information.

There are a few ways to approach this, and some back-end considerations for developer to work out. For example, if building prefab is made of multiple pieces, or BoxCollider not on parent object, then dev will need to account for hierarchy when pulling CustomStaticDoor components.

Feel free to repost this in the thread discussing this. I'd be happy to provide support to TheLacus with helping him integrate this into his mod framework.

Return to “Creator's Corner”