Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
VMblast

Re: Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Post by VMblast »

quasifex wrote:I made normal maps for VMBlast's textures. Some of them are kinda wrong, maybe I will rework them later.
Im not such a big fan of normal maps application in this case. The reason for this is that Daggerfall is stylized game and usage of normal maps gives sense of reality, thus completely changing original style and atmosphere, ethos if you will.

However if you feel like experimenting, go a head, I dont mind. ;)

quasifex

Post by quasifex »

VMblast wrote:
Im not such a big fan of normal maps application in this case. The reason for this is that Daggerfall is stylized game and usage of normal maps gives sense of reality, thus completely changing original style and atmosphere, ethos if you will.

However if you feel like experimenting, go ahead, I dont mind. ;)
Well i can't say that i agree with your opinion about normal map usage. I've seen stylized games that used normal maps and i dont think it ruined their atmosphere too much. Yeah maybe they can change style slightly but not a big deal. I suppose i'm not that nostalgic about Daggerfall hand-drawn style as everyone else here. I personally think games at that time (mid-90's) were mostly stylised because of technical limitations. Artists tried to cramp as much as they can in small resolutions and stylised approach was the best (only?) choice for that. Now we have technologies, why not to use it for good cause?

Actually you gave me an idea to start my own texture replacement but this time i will make them realistically looking. I'm sure not many will be happy about it but, yeah, i love to experiment! Probably it will end up looking like Morrowind.

Anyway, i will wait for your next updates. And i'm gonna normalmap them all. After all, it's going to be just an optional mod.
Peace!

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

quasifex wrote: Actually you gave me an idea to start my own texture replacement but this time i will make them realistically looking. I'm sure not many will be happy about it but, yeah, i love to experiment! Probably it will end up looking like Morrowind.

Anyway, i will wait for your next updates. And i'm gonna normalmap them all. After all, it's going to be just an optional mod.
Peace!
It really comes down to ones entry point into the ES.
Those that started out with Arena and Daggerfall want to preserve the original look.
Those that started in the Todd Howard series want DF to look like MW and SkyRim.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

LorrMaster42

Post by LorrMaster42 »

Experimented with a simple house model.

Arl

Post by Arl »

Very good, that building textured would look fantastic.

(By the way, don't forget to add windows ;) )
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

I was always interesting what if do new building models that looks more like real medival houses, but maximum in canilla style, with using vanilla textures?

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

LorrMaster42 wrote:Experimented with a simple house model.
My initial idea for the DF overhaul, long before I decided to do texture repaint work, was to actually redo all (models, characters, textures...) but using new tech approach, which would mean new procedural algorithms and voxel tech. However, retaining all of the original DF style, atmosphere and ethos. These few screenshots are what I made before texturing work as a proof of concept to the community.

Unfortunately this turned out to be impossible within modding for the existing DF unity project, which is based on restoration of the original first (which I support). I even started/made project work map (or what ever it is called in English), for that advanced version of the Daggerfall. As Ive mentioned, this turned out to be more of the new project and even bigger than DF Unity restoration, thus being incompatible with it.

For more info about this check out first pages, I even made couple of demos...I think they are still downloadable.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Wow! Fantastic work with the houses :o

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Yes, really nice buildings :)
Note that it's should really be possible to put them in game with a mod like AlexanderSig is doing, and i can easily see windows lights to be turned on only at night like the fog from the chimney etc.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@AlexanderSig
Thnx, however these are just testing models, drafts if you will. ;)

@TheLacus
Hopefully youre right. Standard models could be constructed like in the DF original and make it randomized as entire building sets.

My idea was to make buildings from small number of elements (walls, beams, windows, doors, roofs, deco..), attached to the strategic points and put through randomization (procedural) engine.

Also I am really sad that this project (DF Unity) havent picked up much greater community, like those working on Skywind and Skyblivion. Those projects are full blown game productions.... :(