Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Al-Khwarizmi

Re: Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

VMblast wrote:Also I am really sad that this project (DF Unity) havent picked up much greater community, like those working on Skywind and Skyblivion. Those projects are full blown game productions.... :(
I guess Daggerfall is not as well-known, and also, some people were burned by the endless unfulfilled promises of another DF remake project I won't name.

But the community seems to be booming lately!

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Yukistream wrote:Hi !

Amazing stuffs here, I was thinking if it's possible to make NPC model like the "TES Adventures: Redguard" ones ?
I saw 3D NPC models on the forum, great work too, but I dunno, it seems too flat/cartoonish and too "modern" to me.

I think Redguard models-style is the best compromise beetween Daggerfall art style, and modern 3D.

What do you think ? (Woups, maybe wrong topic ?)
My view on this subject is that while I do agree that those 3D NPCs models on this forum do not represent DFs style nor ethos, I do also agree that it should be aesthetic complementary to the original Daggerfall game. What that means - that means that all of the characters ingame, like you've pointed out in your example (tho they are too low poly count), should be hand painted.

Here are some examples of what I tried to convey. Note that what Im talikng about here is aesthetics and not the style of those examples. Aesthetics in this case means that they are hand painted characters on the 3D mesh.
Last edited by VMblast on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Al-Khwarizmi wrote:
VMblast wrote:Also I am really sad that this project (DF Unity) havent picked up much greater community, like those working on Skywind and Skyblivion. Those projects are full blown game productions.... :(
I guess Daggerfall is not as well-known, and also, some people were burned by the endless unfulfilled promises of another DF remake project I won't name.

But the community seems to be booming lately!
Im guessing the game in question is Daggerfall XL? Diddnt know that it was that bad, Ive just heard of the project.

About the booming community -I certainly hope so. ;)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Community is gaining its momentum, yesterday I was seriously considering contacting some members of Skyblivion and Skywind (I hope those names are right) and straight up asking em to mention that TES2 remake is also existing in one of their videos. Because I think we all share same goals and that is making older TES games up to date and available to new skool players. I think its worth giving it a shot.

And yes, I love the experimental buildings and proposed style of 3d models :geek:

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

King of Worms wrote:Community is gaining its momentum, yesterday I was seriously considering contacting some members of Skyblivion and Skywind (I hope those names are right) and straight up asking em to mention that TES2 remake is also existing in one of their videos. Because I think we all share same goals and that is making older TES games up to date and available to new skool players. I think its worth giving it a shot.
Thats a good idea. This project should certainly get broader TES audience and making some notion at TESRenewal (skywind & Skyblivion) would help a great deal in that direction. What I dont understand is why TES fans just keep skipping 1 and 2 and start from the Morrowind, like that is the series start and creators sole intention. :?
Last edited by VMblast on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

VMblast wrote:
Yukistream wrote:Hi !

Amazing stuffs here, I was thinking if it's possible to make NPC model like the "TES Adventures: Redguard" ones ?
I saw 3D NPC models on the forum, great work too, but I dunno, it seems too flat/cartoonish and too "modern" to me.

I think Redguard models-style is the best compromise beetween Daggerfall art style, and modern 3D.

What do you think ? (Woups, maybe wrong topic ?)
My view on this subject is that while I do agree that those 3D NPCs models on this forum do not represent DFs style nor ethos, I do also agree that it should be aesthetic complementary to the original Daggerfall game. What that means - that means that all of the characters ingame, like you've pointed out in your example (tho they are too low poly count), should be hand painted.

Here are some examples of what I tried to convey. Note that what Im talikng about here is aesthetics and not the style of those examples. Aesthetics in this case means that they are hand painted characters on the 3D mesh.
I agree, I think models in this style would be perfect for Daggerfall. There is absolutely no need to go for low-poly or low-res replacements in order to fit into Daggerfall, they just have to fit the aesthetic.

But, of course, the higher quality textures will look a little out of place until we finish replacing every other texture in the game.

Arl

Post by Arl »

I also agree with VMblast, and also too low poly assets cannot represent what the original sprite shows. Converting a sprite into that kind of low poly model can actually diminish the personality of the asset, all those characters from Redguard looks dead to me, like mannequins.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Low poly 3d is art too - to make it look nice you need rethink some things, need good artist for the texture. Of course it will look a little bit different than original, but for me personally it will feels more tight than world of warcraft-like cartoon hd style that most of the mods for du now. I like this style, but my heart wanna low poly 3d.

Maybe because I fan of hexen 2 and thief and wanna daggerfall look kinda like this.

Arl

Post by Arl »

I'm not an expert or anything like that but I think you need a minimum of geometry to efficiently represent a face that works in a 3D environment, no matter how good texture you have.

Those of Thief and Redguard are too low poly examples (A model from AlexanderSig have usualy more poly count than one of those characters), too much limitation require more work and the result is not worth it in my opinion, who would invest time in turning 96' low res 2D assets into 98' low poly 3D assets?
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Biboran wrote:Low poly 3d is art too - to make it look nice you need rethink some things, need good artist for the texture. Of course it will look a little bit different than original,.
All true. Thats why you have Production Director (or Project Leader -depending on size of the production), who knows all this things. ;)

Arl wrote:I'm not an expert or anything like that but I think you need a minimum of geometry to efficiently represent a face that works in a 3D environment, no matter how good texture you have.

Those of Thief and Redguard are too low poly examples (A model from AlexanderSig have usualy more poly count than one of those characters), too much limitation require more work and the result is not worth it in my opinion, who would invest time in turning 96' low res 2D assets into 98' low poly 3D assets?
Yes, thats true as well. Thats why polycount and poly modeling in these cases are build strategically, to accent parts of the character well. One more thing, in this case 3D mesh is just a base, a platform, a canvas, for the hand painted texture -the actual character.