Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
TheLacus

Re: Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Post by TheLacus »

VMblast wrote: Im rambling on again lol, anw, my proposal actually needs help of coders for the most part. So Im asking this time, anyone with some solid coding skills, and who likes my idea, to let me know if they are interested in helping it take it of the ground. I can do most of artwork myself for the starters (3D/2D) and see how it will go. Later if everything goes well I can ask some artist friends who already worked on world titles before. ;)
In the past months there has been progress on modding support regarding graphical enhancements. There are still some things to do but a replacement of textures and models is already possible; weapons and enemies animations is something which still needs to be taken into account. I suggest you reading this if you haven't already.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

TheLacus wrote:
VMblast wrote: Im rambling on again lol, anw, my proposal actually needs help of coders for the most part. So Im asking this time, anyone with some solid coding skills, and who likes my idea, to let me know if they are interested in helping it take it of the ground. I can do most of artwork myself for the starters (3D/2D) and see how it will go. Later if everything goes well I can ask some artist friends who already worked on world titles before. ;)
In the past months there has been progress on modding support regarding graphical enhancements. There are still some things to do but a replacement of textures and models is already possible; weapons and enemies animations is something which still needs to be taken into account. I suggest you reading this if you haven't already.
Yeah, I already seen this ;) good stuff really and helpful.

However this is not what Ive meant in my first post...hmmm maybe Ive not been eloquent enough and havent explained it well...hmmm. Ok Ill prepare a little bit more info in my next post. ;)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

In saying "fantastic" I didn't mean "strange and exaggerated," but "wonderful and pleasing." I give a thumbs up :)

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

^ Cheers ;)

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

VMblast wrote: Yeah, Im afraid you've missed my point completely. Please read my first post. Among other core things, I was talking about retaining style and color palette of the original, but giving it new redo/overhaul.
Did I mis -interpret?
Sorry if that is the case.
Yes you did mention retaining DF style and colour palette, but when i looked at the examples i saw TorchLight and Diablo3 so drew conclusions.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Oh, wow! Personally, I am glad that the game is catching attention of professional artists, it is what we really need to kickstart the whole graphical improvement project, which in turn should attract even more attention to the game.

As I understand, the biggest problem is that in the current state of the project, graphical improvements are sorta hard to implement, this is a very raw feature, which is only present thanks to Lacus' work, but isn't perfect at this point. Sadly, not too many coders can help with it and DFUnity itself is in early stages of development and Interkarma has his hands full.

Overall, I agree with Vladimir's points. I am not a texture artist and this job looks extremely difficult to me, someone very far away from being a professional artist, but if we can have painted textures - that would be awesome!

Preserving the original style and atmosphere is very important, though I am a bit more relaxed here than some :D Just as long as it doesn't look extremely realistic or too cartoonish, it should be fine. The style of the game is awesome, but I wouldn't mind a few changes here and there, as long as they fit the style. Like, I wouldn't mind actually seeing enemies wearing something else, not just cyan clothes! :lol:

I do think that we should help Vladimir technically as much as we can, just because it seems like a rare opportunity to involve someone experienced with the project. We do need that. And let's be real, he would probably get busy with other projects soon, so it might be advantegous to get a head start ASAP.

But for Vladimir, I want to ask to give as much details on how you would go about doing your work, so even if you leave working the project at some point, we might try and replicate the work on our own. Just to preserve the overall style. We are not professionals, but we would appreciate tips and instructions, at least most important ones, it might be helpful to future artists.

Final thought:

Let's create a new folder on this forum, inside "Creator Workshop", next to "Mods & Features General", and call it "DFUnity Graphical Project" (for example). There we will create several topics for objects, that need to be remade (flora, dungeon objects, rocks, etc.), as well as general discussion for the project and technical discussion topic.

Otherwise, it is getting a bit out of hand on the rest of the forum and this should allow us to focus our efforts on most important tasks, both graphical and technical. I think that we should be able to find some temporary solution for now, for example, helping to port Vladimir's work to the game.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

NikitaTheTanner wrote:Oh, wow! Personally, I am glad that the game is catching attention of professional artists, it is what we really need to kickstart the whole graphical improvement project, which in turn should attract even more attention to the game
Thank you for your understanding and support. ;)
NikitaTheTanner wrote:Overall, I agree with Vladimir's points. I am not a texture artist and this job looks extremely difficult to me, someone very far away from being a professional artist, but if we can have painted textures - that would be awesome!

Preserving the original style and atmosphere is very important, though I am a bit more relaxed here than some :D Just as long as it doesn't look extremely realistic or too cartoonish, it should be fine. The style of the game is awesome, but I wouldn't mind a few changes here and there, as long as they fit the style. Like, I wouldn't mind actually seeing enemies wearing something else, not just cyan clothes! :lol:
I feel the same on this subjects and almost exactly what I had in my mind.
NikitaTheTanner wrote:And let's be real, he would probably get busy with other projects soon, so it might be advantegous to get a head start ASAP.
I have some commercial job to finish in the next couple of weeks and after that Ill be free for some time. How long? I dont know honestly, could be a month or many months. :P
NikitaTheTanner wrote:But for Vladimir, I want to ask to give as much details on how you would go about doing your work, so even if you leave working the project at some point, we might try and replicate the work on our own. Just to preserve the overall style. We are not professionals, but we would appreciate tips and instructions, at least most important ones, it might be helpful to future artists.
This is really good and legit question. I cant tell you atm since I dont know how it will all go, however from top of my head I can say that maybe if majority of the texture tiles is created, it would be possible for other people here to use them for their model parts/elements. Also it will help if I leave some guidelines for making model elements. That way it could be consistent story. ...But its really early for that to tell. :P
NikitaTheTanner wrote:Let's create a new folder on this forum, inside "Creator Workshop", next to "Mods & Features General", and call it "DFUnity Graphical Project" (for example). There we will create several topics for objects, that need to be remade (flora, dungeon objects, rocks, etc.), as well as general discussion for the project and technical discussion topic.
This is relly good idea!

To help the project in overall, I ve made this production map so people could better visualize entire process, work and priorities. I am sharing original Xmind file so other contributors can build upon it. Ive started it but havent made full map as many of the ellements I dont know, like all the characters and fantastic animals in the game. Let the other people fill up missing elements and share the project map. :)

Daggerfall Unity project map:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1vHJ ... FdCSXpSdzQ

Xmind:
http://www.xmind.net/download/win/

Image:
Daggerfall Unity.png
Daggerfall Unity.png (222.94 KiB) Viewed 4470 times

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Ok Ill try to explain my idea here hopefully better this time. ;)

Essentially my proposal is to have, like in the original game, proceduraly generated environment. For instance for exterior, to buildings be able to be generated or made up by a simple elements, or building blocks, which have textures applied to them.

For example: Tavern would be constructed(randomly generated) of elements such as big cubes(main bulk), vertical and horizontal beams(wood gerders), window element, row of windows element, door element, roof element.

They all would have hard points on them so that they can snap to eachother using code. Ive made models in my unity example the same way, by making buildings of simple building blocks which have textures applied to them. Great example is Dungeon Architect for unity, however it is too complex for our needs. What Im proposing should be much simpler. Also all interiors would be generated the same way -by using separate elements and through code attaching them, thus making hallways/chambers/rooms etc.

Example of Dungeon Architect:

Also I would like to give you example of how can with simple art technique such as impressionism achieve really vibrant and interesting vistas. However when you look detail of the paintings, they are flat, subtle and almost non existent. This would be somewhat my goal for this project. ;)

These are all modern oils on canvas:
Painting_01.jpg
Painting_01.jpg (437.43 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
Painting_02.jpg
Painting_02.jpg (387.67 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
Painting_03.jpg
Painting_03.jpg (519.35 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
Last edited by VMblast on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Few more ;)
Painting_04.jpg
Painting_04.jpg (423.81 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
Painting_05.jpg
Painting_05.jpg (450.11 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
Painting_06.jpg
Painting_06.jpg (343.92 KiB) Viewed 4442 times

VMblast