Roads of Daggerfall

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Interkarma

Re: Roads of Daggerfall

Postby Interkarma » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:45 pm

The navgrids wouldn't be ideal for this, they only store weights rather than actual tile data. If you're looking for a lead-in point for roads, the Start Markers placed at city gates are a natural termination point.

start-marker.jpg
start-marker.jpg (67.3 KiB) Viewed 688 times

And from there you can use the in-memory tilemap for the location to connect roads to the nearest available road tiles (index 46). Unlike the navgrid, this map has full tile information (even stuff like corners) and would be lot nicer to join with.

tilemap.jpg
tilemap.jpg (82.55 KiB) Viewed 688 times

The navgrids are made by combining an inverse of the automap to carve out space for buildings and then weighting by tile type (e.g. NPCs might prefer nice roads over dirt). It's a pretty cool resultant set of data though. I'm seriously considering having the 3 major cities professionally printed and framed for our gaming space. :)
TheLacus

Postby TheLacus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:59 pm

I see, now that you say it the tile map has already the informations i was thinking about. The start marker seems a pretty solid info point for this purpose, hope this mod get improved to support this, one day.
It's a pretty cool resultant set of data though. I'm seriously considering having the 3 major cities professionally printed and framed for our gaming space

Yep, they have an interesting look.
If you are interested in creating mods for Daggerfall Unity you can find the documentation here.
Hazelnut

Postby Hazelnut » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:05 am

Did this implementation of roads ever go anywhere, or did it stall? Is anyone still working on it?
Jay_H

Postby Jay_H » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:26 pm

No, it stayed at the theory stage. If you want to give it a shot I'd be happy to see it :)
Come give your feedback on the ideas in my general thread, and share your DFU characters in the character thread.
Quest-writing tutorial here. Guide for new Daggerfall players here. Daggerfall Mechanics thread here.

Return to “Creator's Corner”