[Idea] Crafting and Gathering

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Macadaynu

[Idea] Crafting and Gathering

Post by Macadaynu »

There are a lot of trees/rocks in Daggerfall, I wanted to see if I could make a game mechanic out of them.

I thought about a mod which would be similar to Stardew Valley, where you can chop down trees/ break rocks and gather the resources to craft things. Here is the basic chopping/smashing:

I have a few ideas for this so will note them down here in case I forget:
  • Only Axes can chop trees, Blunt Weapons for breaking rocks, Long Swords for plants (or maybe Daggers)
  • Chopping wood/Rock smashing improves your weapon skill (maybe not as much as actually fighting)
  • Different regions offer different types of resources, you will have to travel about to craft certain items
  • Animate trees falling down / Rocks being smashed
  • Add small chance to get gems when smashing rocks (factor Luck and location into this)
  • Add ability to craft weapons and equipment
  • Add a Crafter's Guild, with crafting associated quests, and bonuses based on rep (eg. Forging)
  • The Crafter's Guild will start out in disarray, and it's up to you to restore it to it's former glory
  • Ability to build a Log Cabin in the wilderness, at a high resource expense
  • Integrate with the decorator mod to decorate your Log Cabins, but each decoration costs resources
  • Save the terrain data, so if you chop down a forest, it stays chopped down
  • Add a Crafter's Guide item, to help you locate resources
  • Make it illegal to chop trees / break rocks in towns
  • Extend this idea to Farming, where you can grow crops outside your cabin (May be worth doing as a separate mod)
Last edited by Macadaynu on Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:00 am, edited 6 times in total.

Ninelan

Re: [Idea] Crafting and Gathering

Post by Ninelan »

Super lovely idea. I would definitely add it to my playthrough, especially the cottage and the crafting as a means of differentiating your playthrough from the usual run of the mill adventuring.
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I've been bouncing the same idea around in my head for a while, and part of the seed that led to the idea of a city building mod. As part of the mod, I was hoping to make the differing billboards resource sources for citizens and you to harvest for expansion. Doesn't mean a crafting mod for the player wouldn't also be amazing.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Love all these ideas. One day, Daggerfall will become a complex open world survival game :D

Vexxedsoul

Post by Vexxedsoul »

Looks really promising, I will have this tracked in a notepad and stop bye to check progress every once in a while!

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Now we can confuse people with .gifs claiming this is actually Minecraft. :geek:

Nofi

Post by Nofi »

Animation of falling down the trees and smashing the stones is a good idea too. Loved it.
minecraft apk