[Mod] Uncanny UI

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Uncanny_Valley

[Mod] Uncanny UI

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Brief overview
Improves and changes the Daggerfall UI while still keeping the style of the original

Nexus Page
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/246

DESCRIPTION
Makes some improvements and changes to the inventory while still keeping the style of the original.
Currently the Dialogue window, Rest Window and Inventory window has been changed. NOTE: The trade window has not been changed, while it looks very similar to the inventory it is its own unique interface.

Dialogue UI
  • Reduced the number of special dialogue buttons and made them into selectable topics
  • Removed the copy to logbook button, instead you can double click on a dialogue to copy it
  • Reduced the size of the dialogue window to about half and moved some elements around to achieve this
  • Portrait is now optional with a few selectable options, but is disabled by default
  • Removed any text written on the UI texture and made them to labels
Inventory UI
  • Increased the size of the inventory
  • Removed the large text category buttons and moved them to a more sensible position
  • Removed the "remove" button, removing items is now exclusively done by the right mouse button
  • Moved the gold button to the top of the interface, showing your current gold
  • Moved the wagon button next to the "ground" button and changed them to toggle between the different modes
  • If you click "equip" on a item that is not equipable, it will always try to "use" the item instead
  • Removed any text written on the UI texture and made them to labels
Rest UI
  • Added message on rest window to indicate if you can rest or not
  • Added a slider, similar to newer TES games to set how long to rest
  • See the current time while resting or waiting
  • Automatically hides buttons that you can't current do, or would be illegal to do
Overall
  • Mod Options to enable/disable each UI separately
  • Option to override all textures used. Place any texture you wish to override with the correct name in "StreamingAssets\Textures\UI".

Version History
- Initial Release

- Made description text in inventory larger
- Added options for portrait on dialogue window
- Reversed conversation alignment for to make it fit better with the UI structure
- Slightly reduced the height of the dialogue UI
- Fixed some clipping issues with topic list on dialogue UI
- Added color options for buttons and text labels
- Fixed typos
-Added Rest Window
-Fixed compatibility issues with hotkeybar mod
-Added name above character in inventory window
-Removed money in inventory, the money icon will now handle all money functions
-Some minor tweak here and there

INSTALLATION
  • Download the correct version for your operating system (Windows/OSX/Linux)
  • Copy the "uncannyui.dfmod" into your StreamingAssets\Mods folder
UNINSTALL
  • Remove "uncannyui.dfmod" from the "StreamingAssets/Mods" folder.
Ui.png
Ui.png (1014.44 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
Ui4.png
Ui4.png (357.16 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
Last edited by Uncanny_Valley on Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

carademono

Re: [Mod] Uncanny UI

Post by carademono »

Wonderful mod! I love the immersive dialogue UI... and it fits in so well with Villager Variety and Animated People ;)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This looks really interesting, I like the open feel of the talk window - more connected to the outside world. But I kind of miss the portraits honestly. I would envision it like a optional toggle, looking like this when ON
Spoiler!
01.jpg
01.jpg (395.7 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carademono

Post by carademono »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:29 pm This looks really interesting, I like the open feel of the talk window - more connected to the outside world. But I kind of miss the portraits honestly. I would envision it like a optional toggle, looking like this when ON
Or alternately, the portrait could go in the top-right corner of the talk window, and the left-hand dialogue topic list could be a bit narrower.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

That would be something like this? Would require refactoring the UI tho. Its not bad idea, but I think I personally prefer the version above. Reason being - if I can see the NPC and the portrait at the same time, while these do not match many times, it could create some uncanny confusion and loss of immersion. Exactly as it is shown in this image. Just personal opinion ofc.
Spoiler!
02.jpg
02.jpg (426.53 KiB) Viewed 2530 times

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

maybe the portrait could go behind the name on the right to provide a background for the text.

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Thanks for the feedback. I removed the portrait in favor of seeing more of the NPC you are talking too. I could add an option to enable the portrait somewhere, question is of course where. I really don't like the idea of having it in the middle and obscuring the NPC you are speaking too.

I think having it in the right corner makes more sense, I'm also thinking about making it smaller. Here are two versions I am considering.

portrait.png
portrait.png (1 MiB) Viewed 2434 times

portrait2.png
portrait2.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 2434 times
I'm also tinkering the size of of the different elements. the left topic list is provably going to remain the same size, some of the locations names can be quite long and I want to prevent they being clipped as much as possible.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Too bad, I think the 600 portraits the game offers deserve some space on the screen. Because unless the game is using the carrademonos mod, talking to the same looking npc over and over gets boring. Thats why the portraits are there, to create a illusion you dont talk to the same NPC for a 100(0)th time. If you can see the NPC and the portrait, which in 90% does not look like the NPCs face, than it gets confusing?

Eitherway, your mod, your decision. I just find the idea I presented quite natural looking, works for me at least :D

Maybe you will allow the users to move the portraits and the size around? Rest of the mod looks lovely.

EDIT: I agree with the posts below me 100%
Last edited by King of Worms on Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

carademono

Post by carademono »

How about leaving the portrait just above the dialogue box (as in the first screenshot) and let players decide in the mod settings whether they want it centered or on the right, large or small? The optimal layout will be different depending if you're playing DREAM, vanilla, or Villager Variety, and it may simply be a matter of personal choice, so best to give players the option if possible.

Again though, this is just the finishing touch. The mod is awesome and will never be removed from my modlist!

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

carademono wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:17 pm How about leaving the portrait just above the dialogue box (as in the first screenshot) and let players decide in the mod settings whether they want it centered or on the right, large or small? The optimal layout will be different depending if you're playing DREAM, vanilla, or Villager Variety, and it may simply be a matter of personal choice, so best to give players the option if possible.

Again though, this is just the finishing touch. The mod is awesome and will never be removed from my modlist!
I agree with this fully. I think it'll be best add a settings option to toggle between "No portrait", "Portrait above menu", "Portrait in the right corner"

Great mod btw, will for sure include it in my modlist.
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.