[MOD] Vibrant Wind

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
TheLacus

[MOD] Vibrant Wind

Postby TheLacus » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Vibrant Wind

Description
Changes strength of wind according to current weather.

Features
  • Dynamically change wind strength, from a calm breeze for a sunny day to a violent wind for snowstorms.
  • Supports TerrainData wind (grass) and WindZone (trees and particles).
  • Set a custom range and interpolation: choose a wide range of speeds or a light breeze with minor variations.
  • Terrain: set Speed, Bending and Size separately for further customization.
Prerequisites
Daggerfall Unity 0.4.36
While there are no other technical requirements, this mod is supposed to be a complementary to a vegetation mod, such as Real Grass.

Installation
Move vibrantwind.dfmod inside 'StreamingAssets/Mods'.

Quick Setup
Adjust min and max values of range to achieve the desired speed. Choose distant values for a wide range of speeds, near values for minor variations.
Use set_weather 0-6, vwind_debug 2 to test in game.

Download
Last edited by TheLacus on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Biboran

Re: [MOD] Vibrant Wind

Postby Biboran » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 pm

Wow looks like something really cool!
jman0war

Postby jman0war » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:31 am

Looks really nice.
It's something that adds to the immersion of the game.
I like it.
some of my Daggerfall work can be found here: http://www.thehungryartist.com/games.html
Thomas_Eric

Postby Thomas_Eric » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:04 am

I wonder if this would be compatible with a future better fog or/and better smoke mods that someone may do.

Anyway, interesting and cool mod, looking foward to see the progress on it!
I was the Mannimarco, now I've resurrected as Thomas (aka Tommy) Jarvis...

Also don't forget to check out my Better Travel Map Mod if you didn't already!
King of Worms

Postby King of Worms » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:59 am

Nice, this makes the world more immersive / atmospheric. I also wonder if such a effect (maybe less pronounced) could be applyed to some of the terrain flats like the trees, bushes and flowers, excluding rocks etc...
Jay_H

Postby Jay_H » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:06 am

It makes me sort of want to determine that the speed of the movement per object would be in inverse proportion to the size of its image; very large trees would blow little, and tiny bits of grass would move a lot.

...which sounds very laborious on the technical side, I venture :) Another great mod!
Come give your feedback on the ideas in my general thread, and share your DFU characters in the character thread.
Quest-writing tutorial here. Guide for new Daggerfall players here. Daggerfall Mechanics thread here.
TheLacus

Postby TheLacus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Thomas_Eric wrote:I wonder if this would be compatible with a future better fog or/and better smoke mods that someone may do.

Sure
King of Worms wrote:Nice, this makes the world more immersive / atmospheric. I also wonder if such a effect (maybe less pronounced) could be applyed to some of the terrain flats like the trees, bushes and flowers, excluding rocks etc...

Jay_H wrote:It makes me sort of want to determine that the speed of the movement per object would be in inverse proportion to the size of its image; very large trees would blow little, and tiny bits of grass would move a lot.

...which sounds very laborious on the technical side, I venture :) Another great mod!

Meshes affected by wind need informations on how to reacts to it, so different tree models would surely wave differently as they're supposed to.
Applying wind on daggerall billboard trees seem very tricky tough; the biggest problem is that you don't have any separation between rigid parts and foliage, it's just a texture on a plane. Maybe something can be done with the little flowers..
If you are interested in creating mods for Daggerfall Unity you can find the documentation here.
Biboran

Postby Biboran » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:27 pm

King of Worms wrote:Nice, this makes the world more immersive / atmospheric. I also wonder if such a effect (maybe less pronounced) could be applyed to some of the terrain flats like the trees, bushes and flowers, excluding rocks etc...

If someone made animated sprites for flats why not :D
Nystul

Postby Nystul » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:30 am

i am experiencing issues with the mod with current version of dfunity from git (`MessageReciver' seems like a typo):

Code: Select all

Error (1061): Type `DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.Mod' does not contain a definition for `MessageReciver' and no extension method `MessageReciver' of type `DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.Mod' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
Error (): 0(78,14): VibrantWind.VibrantWind.Start()
Narf the Mouse

Postby Narf the Mouse » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:00 pm

For some reason, the gif isn't working for me; all I see is grass and sky in an endless loop of stuttering right one frame, then stuttering left one frame.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Return to “Creator's Corner”