512x Terrain Textures

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Ravenborn

512x Terrain Textures

Post by Ravenborn »

Hey everyone! Having worked on many a texture pack for other games and having a great love for this game I've decided to take a wack at some of the games overworld terrain textures!

They're currently 512x512, and I only have most of the Desert tiles (non winter/wet) done but, hey, it's headway!
30+ textures complete so far! :D

I am, however, having an issue. For some reason the roads are rendering like this:
Any idea why that would happen?
Last edited by Ravenborn on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheLacus

Re: 512x Terrain Textures

Post by TheLacus »

That's great! And welcome to the forums :)

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Looks good! Keep it up :)

Not sure why the roads are like that sorry, pretty new to this myself

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

These do look great!

Nystul is the man who wrote the current (and awesome!) tilemap shader (your mods couldn't work with my original tilemap implementation), so he might be able to shed some light on what's going wrong with the roads, or at least help push things in the right direction.

I also notice the distance before mip levels start to degrade is quite short. It's not so obvious with the chunky old graphics but definitely stands out with more detail. This might be something Nystul will be able to stretch out a little as well.

Ravenborn

Post by Ravenborn »

Ah! Got the roads to work. Interestingly, apparently, the texture turns white if there are HD tiles in the set but no HD tile for that specific texture. lol

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Well done! And those are some nice looking textures. Great work.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Great Textures! Awesome work. The white Street texture problem might be a bug on my side. Not sure, would have to test.
Mip map level selection is currently hard-coded in shader, we can adjust this. Unfortunately there is a unity bug with texture seams when using texture arrays that made me use hard-coded level selection

Btw, normal maps and metallic gloss maps (only used when realtime reflections mod is present) are also supported!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Great work!
Ravenborn wrote:Ah! Got the roads to work. Interestingly, apparently, the texture turns white if there are HD tiles in the set but no HD tile for that specific texture. lol
Drawing on screen all ground textures at the same time is more efficient than drawing them one by one. A limitation of the technology that allows this, is that all textures must have the same resolution, so you can't mix your textures with vanilla.

If you're interested, you can read more here. Nystul updated the texturing part since when the article was written, but the concept is the same.

Gaggerballz

Post by Gaggerballz »

Are these landscape textures still being worked on or complete? It looks absolutely incredible! Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, was just curious.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

I was wondering what was going on when I got white roads too, thanks for clearing that up.

This looks awesome.
Finally, desert terrain !
Someone needs to set up some glossy metal textures
for the water of that region as well to work with the real
time reflections mod, and consider doing the jungle reagions too, the whole jungle region needs some love.

I can't wait for this one, it looks awesome !

P.s. will instal peacemeal texture packs too "hint hint"
Check out my YouTube Channel!