DaggerXL texture replacement project

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
MrDowntempo

Re: DaggerXL texture replacement project

Post by MrDowntempo »

Would it be possible to tweak the pattern of the stone texture on Texture 116 so that when it's used on a column and has that shorter width, it will still tile appropriately? It should be if Daggerfall always uses the same bit of texture when it's on a short wall like that, but I don't know how Daggerfall handles textures that are larger than their surface.

I think the marble in Tex 444 has lost a bit of its flare because of the missing pink veins it used to have.

I'm loving the style of this pack overall though!

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Set 128. This one was hard to do because the original wood has so many different colors. I noticed the vertical seam in the rocks as I was posting this but I've already fixed it.
NikitaTheTanner wrote:Good job on these textures! They look pretty sweet, though maybe a little too fresh. You know, it's just my feeling, but I do feel that maybe some extra roughness/dirt/rust/cracks, etc. will make them a little more believable. Daggerfall is magical, but fairly grim, so I feel that it needs more wear and darker details to the whole thing. That's my opinion on the style though, so it's up to you what style you want to go to, since it will be somewhat different from original in any case.

Still, you are doing a fine job, I must say. It's a huge improvement overall, I think!
Thanks. Yeah I see your point, some of the textures feel more clean than the originals although some of that naturally follows going from pixelated textures to smooth ones.

There were one or two textures where I decided not to include a crack because I felt that tiled so terribly in the original game but for those textures I guess I need to find a new way to add a little more grime while not making the tiling pattern obvious.
NikitaTheTanner wrote:Also, the lighting on the last picture shows that there is not too much of a difference between your textures and originals. I assume you've left models for this reason, yes? On other pictures it seems like there is a huge difference in coloring, but it seems to mostly come down to light.
Yes, thank you. It explains a lot and I hope people will keep this in mind for future posts. I guess I will have to go back to the model project to adjust the lighting.
MrDowntempo wrote:Would it be possible to tweak the pattern of the stone texture on Texture 116 so that when it's used on a column and has that shorter width, it will still tile appropriately? It should be if Daggerfall always uses the same bit of texture when it's on a short wall like that, but I don't know how Daggerfall handles textures that are larger than their surface.

I think the marble in Tex 444 has lost a bit of its flare because of the missing pink veins it used to have.

I'm loving the style of this pack overall though!
Thanks! Yeah I can make that column a few pixels wider.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Playing around with house textures, I think I will start by making the roof tiles darker and more realistic.

MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

AlexanderSig wrote: Playing around with house textures, I think I will start by making the roof tiles darker and more realistic.
The original roof tiles look like they're supposed to be more of a barrel roof tile shape instead of the flat shape you created.
Something sort of like
Though there exists a lot of endless variation in style and color for barrel roof tiles. It is a fairly old form of roofing though.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'd tend more towards wavy cardboard. Not literally, but in shape. Like the piece on the left, but messier:
So the midpoints of each tile would bend up a little.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I think it should look like this

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

to me the roof looks wooden...

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Looks pretty good to me! The shape is similar and it still has that worn look. The material and color both seem also fairly similar to the original. Don't think it looks wooden, although it is flat, so it's missing a bit of shape I think. Maybe normal maps can fix it, if they can be used. Still, overall a very solid work here!

I only dislike how it gets cut off in the end with the straight line, but that's okay I guess. Not sure if it can be easily fixed.

Sun's Dawn

Post by Sun's Dawn »

The original texture looks weird, something between roof tiles and wood shingles. That looks much better. Maybe the tiles could be more narrow.