[MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10b)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: Handpainted model replacement project

Post by King of Worms »

Yes sir! Glad to see the images rolling :)

heres those signs textures, some look very fitting and quality is great, royalty free
https://files.fm/u/zezk4qdq#_

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

@King of Worms: Thanks, these look awesome. But unfortunately there's only like 3-4 textures that fit the Daggerfall store signs so I will continue to use the old textures for consistency.

First time using TheLacus's FaceWall script for this torch, works fantastic on the first try :)

Spent about 2 minutes in Blender creating a new UV map for the model of the starting cave. It's the exact same model but the difference is very dramatic in my opinion.

However... I ran into some issues with the scale of the model. When I tried importing it exactly as it came from the Daggerfall modelling program the new model was about 100 times larger than the one it replaced. I have the scale set at 0.0228 in this screenshot which is a really random number. I've run into this issue with some models in the past, I don't understand the discrepancy in model scale between Daggerfall modelling and Daggerfall unity. If there is an easy solution or the scale were 1:1 between the programs it would be very easy for me to fix a large amount of these UV map bugs in a short amount of time.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Looking good! :D

The scale exported by Daggerfall Modelling is 1:1 from game data, but this is really huge in Unity units.

Daggerfall Unity uses a 1/40 scale or * 0.025. TheLacus has this on his modding page here. You can read a more detailed description of why I used this number at line 45 of MeshReader.cs.

I hope that helps!

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 pm Looking good! :D

The scale exported by Daggerfall Modelling is 1:1 from game data, but this is really huge in Unity units.

Daggerfall Unity uses a 1/40 scale or * 0.025. TheLacus has this on his modding page here. You can read a more detailed description of why I used this number at line 45 of MeshReader.cs.

I hope that helps!
Oh yeaaah, forgot about that. Works perfectly now thanks :)

Was there any way to make a custom model use whatever texture is loaded into DFunity? So if someone has no custom textures loaded they would just see the new model with old textures but if they downloaded a replacement texture that texture would get placed on the new model?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Awesome work as usual :)
AlexanderSig wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:57 am Was there any way to make a custom model use whatever texture is loaded into DFunity? So if someone has no custom textures loaded they would just see the new model with old textures but if they downloaded a replacement texture that texture would get placed on the new model?
Yes, if you name the material following DF Unity nomenclature (archive_record-0) it will be overridden with textures from loose files. The limitation is that you must assign the default texture to the material.

Coincidentally i've recently pushed some changes (not yet in the current build) which enable importing materials from mods to be used on vanilla meshes. So if a mod provide a model and a material assigned to it (but also included as an individual asset), this should also be used on other vanilla meshes. For the moment materials can't be applied to models from other mods because this requires to check respective load position of model and material, which are handled separately.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Damn the torches gonna be lit! :) But really, those will make a big positive impact on a dungeon visuals and I cant wait to see them. Also, the corectred UV maps look much better when you really look at the compare pictures. There is a lot of wrong model UVs in game, I noticed the main castles might have the same problem /dagger castle, wayrest castle etc/

PS: I agree with your decision on signs btw .)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

EPIC
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

I wanted to practice some 3D modeling and texturering today, so I did a skull. :D To my knowledge it hasn't been done by anyone else yet. Feedback? :) I tried to keep as close to the style of the orginal as possible.

Skull.png
Skull.png (338.72 KiB) Viewed 3371 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Looks good :) id like to see that in motion

Arctus

Post by Arctus »