[MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10b)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
NikitaTheTanner

Re: Handpainted model replacement project

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Looks really good! Though I think you could give yourself more artistic discretion in work :) I understand desire to stay true to originals as much as possible and it's up to you, just by how much, but I personally wouldn't mind some changes here and there as long as the item fits the world.

For example, on this piece katana sticks out a little to me. I don't mind it being there, since the original texture looks kinda like a katana, but I also wouldn't mind a simple arming sword there instead. And also the proportions, as you've noticed, change with 3D items lying on the floor, so you can rearrange them to fit better as you see fit. Maybe even remove/change these items, it's okay ;) Although you did a good job recreating them, so it might be a shame to do it now!

You are the artist, don't really need to recreate it one-to-one, as long as the original feel is still present, I think. But, it's what I think, I also think that you are doing an amazing work! Congratulations on the shelves!

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Maybe I wrong, but in original this tables placed like it one giant table, not a lot of small tables.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

NikitaTheTanner wrote:Looks really good! Though I think you could give yourself more artistic discretion in work :) I understand desire to stay true to originals as much as possible and it's up to you, just by how much, but I personally wouldn't mind some changes here and there as long as the item fits the world.

For example, on this piece katana sticks out a little to me. I don't mind it being there, since the original texture looks kinda like a katana, but I also wouldn't mind a simple arming sword there instead. And also the proportions, as you've noticed, change with 3D items lying on the floor, so you can rearrange them to fit better as you see fit. Maybe even remove/change these items, it's okay ;) Although you did a good job recreating them, so it might be a shame to do it now!

You are the artist, don't really need to recreate it one-to-one, as long as the original feel is still present, I think. But, it's what I think, I also think that you are doing an amazing work! Congratulations on the shelves!
Thank you! I see your point. I didn't feel I needed to deviate a lot from the original in this case because the detailed texture gave me plenty to work with. I did change it from a shelf to a rack which I think is an important change. I was actually 100% planning on changing the first model so the sword/armor wouldn't be lying on the floor but it looked totally fine in-game. If I see some clipping issues with them then I'll remove them from that model.

Also I did make a lot of variations for the other weapon shelf models. You'll notice I only used the katana twice in all the models so that model will be much more uncommon to see :)

Biboran wrote:

Maybe I wrong, but in original this tables placed like it one giant table, not a lot of small tables.
There were some seams in the original actually but they're more noticeable now because I made the table a little shorter so the new legs wouldn't clip with chairs placed by the tables.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Anvil

What's left?
  • 3 torture devices
  • 2 statues
  • Gravestones
  • Some flats - I'm not planning on doing them all, mostly just furniture flats and some more

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Excellent work! Love all the shelves/racks! Would probably look super sweet in the game.

I am actually really excited for the tombstones in the future... Graveyards were one of my favorite things about Daggerfall! They are just so eerie and magical, but dark and gothic at the same time. But I am sure you'll do them justice judging by all the magnificent work you've done so far!

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

Yeah the snow texures and snow piles look great.

I could imagine a collision plane several cm beneath the actual surface so the person's feet are sunken in.
Then maybe a particle effect around each foot stomp.
Then a decal foot-print left behind that decays over time? ;)
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

jman0war wrote:Yeah the snow texures and snow piles look great.

I could imagine a collision plane several cm beneath the actual surface so the person's feet are sunken in.
Then maybe a particle effect around each foot stomp.
Then a decal foot-print left behind that decays over time? ;)
Wrong thread!
Sorry
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

I also think, that there may be a way to replace model not by one other model, but by different ones, that replace object in different places. It may make Some interiors more uniqle

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Biboran wrote:I also think, that there may be a way to replace model not by one other model, but by different ones, that replace object in different places. It may make Some interiors more uniqle
Yeah that would be cool. We were discussing on another thread to allow different models to load in different regions. So I could mark a bench model as like "bench_desert" and then that model would show up in desert regions instead of the regular old bench model.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

NikitaTheTanner wrote:I am actually really excited for the tombstones in the future...
Model+texture I made for DaggerXL in 2012. How do you guys feel about this texture? I wasn't really going for a "handpainted" look back then but I don't think it's too inconsistent with the rest of the work.

I will at least make this texture darker and use the lighter tex you see in the screenshot for the light gray variation of this gravestone model.