[MOD] Handpainted model replacement project (Release v2.10b)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
AlexanderSig

Re: Handpainted model replacement project

Post by AlexanderSig »

Interkarma wrote:Great work on that fire, looks really cosy now. :)
Thanks!
quasifex wrote:
There aren't really that many models left for me to do so I'm going to focus on just improving existing models for a while.
If you don't mind i can give you some directions on which models to improve. ;)
Firstly, i want to say that you can smooth polygons without actually changing geometry. For example, these bags could use it.
image1.gif
I also noticed some triangle shaped texture distortions on bed models:
image2.gif
Also, all fireplaces seem to have a gap between it's backside and wall. You can fix this by moving origin point, extruding back edges or adding some new geometry.
And last thing, there's a texture seam on the model of a torture rack:
image4.gif
That's all problems i noticed so far. Other than that, everything else seems to be looking good.
Thank you! This is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. :)

Unfortunately I've already tried fixing the fireplace gap issue but it's not so easy to fix because they're just placed that way in vanilla in a lot of places. First time I tried doing what you suggested they worked better in some locations but in others they would clip through the wall and be visible from behind the wall.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I can confirm what AlexanderSig is saying. The problem with fireplaces not being flush to wall is actually an issue with layout data in game files. You can see the same problem with them in classic.

Best solution would be to dynamically reposition fireplaces against whatever wall they're supposed to be touching (and so they don't clip). TheLacus does something clever like this to properly affix torch replacement models in sprite > model replacements. It should be possible to adapt this code someday for fireplaces. Although there's likely to be other problems I'm not foreseeing right now.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Anyone else feel like this model is ridiculously oversized?

Here's what a trellis looks like irl

Bethesda's model is almost 3 stories tall, I wonder if this is a bug where they accidentally set the scale to 2x or something. How would you guys feel about me scaling this down?

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Is it a different model in game? If so, maybe we can have a taller version as well? Kinda like this:

Of course, you can scale it down a little to a more reazonable size, but I think that it's approximately 2 storied.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Threw together this fountain variation

Lampposts now have this little yellow glowing thing around them, have wanted to add that for a while... Also new glass material and some smoothing.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Maybe this pink-ish stone texture you not like i something like this http://scstone.ru/assets/gallery/45/271.jpg http://myshtukaturka.ru/wp-content/uplo ... mramor.jpg ?

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Love the glow for the lamp! Gives it nice warm ambience... Would probably look super cool at night on the streets!

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Weapon rack WIP

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

AlexanderSig wrote:Image

Weapon rack WIP
Cant wait to climb on this thing with my guy ;)
Oh boy, more things to jump on 8-)
Check out my YouTube Channel!

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Last shelf in the game finally done! Phew...

But um yeah I'm probably going to have to pick those pieces off the floor, look at the difference in bounding boxes, probably going to cause some clipping. A lot of these shelves have really unrealistic proportions for the items they contain but this one is the worst :P