Daggerfall retexture

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: Daggerfall retexture

Post by King of Worms »

ifkopifko wrote:Well, a lot of detail got lost, does it not look too cartoonish after the "cleaning"?
nah man, look closer, it even gained some detail and definition, it looks awesome ingame. Only artefacts are lost, lines are more defined, its clean... look at those cracks on a window-frame and other details
03.jpg
03.jpg (476.91 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
EDIT: Or I can say it like this :) Check maximized... notice the red circle on a left... and yes, this one is cartoony but fits great to the jungle region setting, IMO ofc
compare.jpg
compare.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 3954 times

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

I can't wait to see it ingame (though it's definitely going to kill my PC). :D Yeah, the texture gained some details, lost other details, and lost the compression artefacts. You might be right that it's a reasonable trade-off.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Dont worry, its PC friendly. I will release the test version in foreseeable future.. now the progress is quite fast so its better to wait some more. Thanks for dropping by ;)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This v2 of hedge texture took me WAAAY too long to create and tune so it looks good ingame, but its used in a lot of places so it will be worth a while I hope :) And Ive actually learned something as well...

HEDGE v2
001.jpg
001.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 3882 times
....and a same story with this walk-thru archway in dungeons... lots of testing and tuning, but now Im content with it + plus I like my invention with the soil on the floor. New wall texture as well... Ive learned how to add a lots of photoreal detail to a simple hand drawn cartoony textures, and this is the resulting style I like. The best from both worlds Id say. Same approach is used on the wooden planks...
01.jpg
01.jpg (898.96 KiB) Viewed 3860 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This stuff looks excellent.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for dropping by Jay!

There are 3 types of wooden walk-thrus in the dungeons, here are the last two... they are sometimes merged in a longer tunnel, so I made them work together when this happens. I also added a spider web for thats a necessity in any dungeon :twisted: Not many options to place it anywhere, because textures repeat a lot, so Im glad I found this decent place ... u can see the dirty wood more closely. This used to be a clean cartoony texture..
001.jpg
001.jpg (410.77 KiB) Viewed 3849 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

CAVE
Finally met some cave... this one is very similar to the starting place in Privateers hold
cave.jpg
cave.jpg (575.06 KiB) Viewed 3844 times
...and the gate leading to all caves. Spend a unholy amount of time on this one... also because the model is bugged and I wanted the textures to mask the problems which I managed to do. Theres a small gift for all arachnofobiacs if u look into the web closely. Because if you are affraid of the spiders, you dont go into the underground caves :twisted: :twisted:

WOODEN GATE
SPIDER.jpg
SPIDER.jpg (957.93 KiB) Viewed 3831 times

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@King of Worms
You are doing great work. Im looking forward for mod pack. Keep it up. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks! Means something from you, as you did the best textures around here hands down! I will release a work in progress texture set soon, maybe this weekend. Because I want some feedback in a sense, that Daggerfall uses many textures in many ways, so you dont really know, if the texture you made fitting here, wont be causing problems there... its a headache :) So maybe I can get info about this when ppl roam the map...

I found interresting way to detect textures. Just upscale so I can write on them... than I go around and see... like this :P I know wooden planks are archive 067 so... this is 067_14-0 etc.

Will use this approach from now on..

PS: today I experimented with some texture generators, nothing stellar was achieved, I will stay with the tRusty Photoshop for now...
01.jpg
01.jpg (865.13 KiB) Viewed 3781 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Wood texture based on VMBlasts work ;)
01.jpg
01.jpg (453.13 KiB) Viewed 3761 times