NPC Flats - Waifu upscaling

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
ifkopifko

Re: NPC Flats - Waifu upscaling

Post by ifkopifko »

I like your attitude man. Creating the textures in high-res will not hurt and I'm holding my fingers corssed so that it will get usable in the near future. And anyways, downscaling should be an easy and straightforward process, in case it would be needed. :D

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks and yes, downscaling is easy, I made a macro in photoshop and downscaled all animated enemies to 50% for a test and it still killed my PC, but lets say the death was not so brutal as before and without a fatality so ... :P Interkarma spoke about 4:1 compression with DXT4 - that must help! And btw, the reduction to 50% introduced some artefacts with transparency on a rat... its just a nightmare really. But I believe it will be solved. Its not like we are in a rush, game is not ready yet. ;)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Ok, so heres what I did..
I took out pretty much all the animated sprites, but all the new stuff you did is still in there.
I think the dogs and stuff should work fine so maybe Ill put them back in there.
I noticed the npc's have have part of the head kinda cut off.
Its barely noticable but im thinking its part of the upscaling process because they just downloaded that way.
If they put a fix in there let me know but it seems like the animated sprites will just flood the atlas.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes, animated enemy NPCs are the biggest killer, thats why they were marked as experimental in my pack, placed in a separate folder and in the readme I stated it will kill your PC - they dont everflow the atlass, but they overflow your system memory. Atlas overflow manifests itself like a graphical corruption.

Those NPCs and small animals with 3-4 animation fields I dont think posses any danger.

Yup, the lowest quality NPCs are not yet cut out, so they might appear their head is cut a bit (its not technically cut as nothing is missing but its a artefact from upscaling which needs to be hand repaired) Every flat from the 1000s I did had this problem, on every part of the flat which touched the border - I hand repaired 90% of them. Screenshot would be appretiated tho, so Im sure this is not some bug.

There is another bug with misc super atlas and Im not going there now. But basicaly 6 archives are merged into one in the engine causing further problems with atlas overflow... great.

Yes, when the solution will be introduced, Ill let you know. Seems like texture compression has the ability to solve it and cache systems... lets see.

Thanks for report Midnight

Midknightprince

So I put the animated npc's back in (not the monsters) and it seems to be working fine.
Takes a bit to load but once it does it runs like butter.
Everything you did that I put in is showing up.
These sprites look amazing King.
Still gotta find all the naked ladies in game 8-)

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Midknightprince wrote:Still gotta find all the naked ladies in game 8-)
:D I'm afraid the interaction you seek is not implemented yet.

Bloodinfested

Post by Bloodinfested »

Gone for a month out of state was looking forward when I got back to trying this out although the link doesn't appear to be working.
I really like the look of these upscales great solution for a more original look.

Midknightprince

@Bloodinfested
I think he just put them up here to test them.

@KingofWorms@ So I just put everything in there but the monsters (even got the corpses), and they seem to be working fine.
No crashes or funkyness.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, thanks for report. Im glad it works. Im quite sure there are some redundant files in my old release, which dont work YET as they are not enabled in engine (and they MIGHT cause increased loading times or additional burden on the system without actually being visible ingame, I dont know) I dont remember what I included in the pack back then. What I know is - that my resized ingredients dont work, same with clothing, weapons, armor and what ever.

Plus the "misc super-atlast" problem is real. Its a merge of archives 97, 205, 211, 212, 213, 301... and it causes problems like things from these specific archives not being rendered in full res plus some graphical bugs on said flats (like the hanging lights if you remember etc) You just have not met those bugs yet now or have not noticed things being rendered in low res (you basically cant notice it because it looks like vanila, I can see it, because I know that some specific sprite should look much better because Ive spend my time on it)

Anyway... I will release some clean lite version, without the not-working-yet and experimental stuff. Im aware that the links have expired, so dont worry Bloodinfested, you will get your hands on it in future, and you will save some hassle aswell.

But I will wait for next engine update which might possibly include texture compression option. In the meantime I will prepare it for release, clean some more flats etc. I will leave my country in 2 months. So you can expect I will release some work-in-progress demo before that happens.

Now Im on hiatus/pause. I worked way too hard for way too long. Had dreams of texturing for one week after I stopped :roll: ...ufff.

Also, my left eye was so close to getting conjunctivitis. Im still using eye drops for it. Tell me about taking things too far, LOL!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Im glad Ive not ended like this Mwhahah!!!
(And no - not its NOT me :lol: - but it sums up the amount of time Ive spend on this in one month pretty nicely)
eHM.jpg
eHM.jpg (286.83 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
Jokes aside...

My work consists of 2 parts
- upscaled flats/sprites (this thread)
- upscaled/remade textures (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=632)

And Midnight, can you post that bug with cut heads? Screenshot pls, I want to be sure its what I think it is. Thanks

Midknightprince

Yep, I looked at the jpg's in the texture folder.
They just downloaded that way.
They look the same in-game as they do looking at the picture, so its good to go on my end.

About the ingredient: So from what I understand the ing dont work, so I guess I just take them out right ?

Everything else seems to work just like it should, so just take a break, and get rid the eye boogers. :D

I will be waiting for more stuff as usual, just get better first.
Cool looking npcs are only cool if you can see them.