NPC Flats - Waifu upscaling

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: NPC Flats - Waifu upscaling

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, thanks!

Dosbox is point filter and 320x200. Its about the resolution. in 320*200 everything is blocky and the low res textures and especially flats just naturally fit in. If you remove the edge jaggies by playing in full hd, the low res flats/sprites just pop out.

And yes, if you enable bi/tri linear filtering on any kind of low res flat than you get a smudged out blurry mess. Thats not only in unity tho.

Try running DFU in 320*200 with point filter and you get the same results as dos box (a bit better because the pallete is not as restricted in DFU)

And add full screen scalers... never worked for me. It fucks more things up than it improves. I experimented with it a lot. Only place where it sometimes works is on flat textures, not on sprites. And sprites is what I focus on now. In Brutal doom you have a lots of options to play with according to upscaling etc, u can see what does what...

What I do here is IMO the best from both worlds, you have high res flats and they dont get degraded by filtering, it doesnt matter if you use point or bi/tri linear filter, they still sharp because of the resolution. And the upscaling method I use is quite demanding, never saw a game utilizing this kind of algoritm in real time. Also, I never saw a 3d game ever using this algo. This is used in 2d games. And its quite a new method. It naturally works great with 2d sprites. No other method gives such a results. Its a god send...

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I like these rugged designs it allows me to add some further details
I also learned how to add facial details by darkening some lines, I just re-create things which were lost due to the low res nature of the flat (eventho this is again from "big flats"). I recreated her left eye, and mouth, and added lots of detail to the clothing everywhere, plus cleaned the outline some more. Love this process :D
1.png
1.png (572.92 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Wow, that last one does look cool.
One of my fav npc's in classic.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks! :) Yes she is the best, not sure where to see her in game tho

Short vids of upscaling...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctG5TM8a8oo
...and animation smoothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt9fgV6lXg8
...another boring smoothing process :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGYaFOLne-k

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

183_17-0.png
183_17-0.png (908.51 KiB) Viewed 2637 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

The most boring stream ever... repairing the artefacts of upscaled flats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tjgiUtLXng
Last edited by King of Worms on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Small gift :) Perfect waifu upscale result... I loved this poster, had it on my wall as a kid.
U can download it here https://files.fm/u/q22bretn#_ in full quality - uncompressed PNG
Best on net, because of my upscale skills :)
vdNIokQ.jpg
vdNIokQ.jpg (301.85 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

And this one :) But that needs some repairs of a skilled Photoshoper, so not by me. U can see the poster was bend in half. I think we should have this somewhere in the game... at the start. This is legendary. And comes from a legendary paper game magazine called Score... damn, nostalgia here we come :X IF SOMEONE CAN REPAIR IT, PM ME AND I SEND U WAIFU UPSCALED VERSION!

Also, if u have some favorite poster or art in this style, and u want the best quality send me a PM and I will upscale and process it for u as a gift.
Poster-Score26-Daggerfall.jpg
Poster-Score26-Daggerfall.jpg (629.41 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

I actually like watching that wakfu stuff.
Its relaxing stuff man.
Maybe its just watching someone else work :lol:
Cool music too
Check out my YouTube Channel!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Midknightprince wrote:I actually like watching that wakfu stuff.
Its relaxing stuff man.
Maybe its just watching someone else work :lol:
Cool music too
Thanks :) Yes its relaxing. I do it and listen to that music... I found some really GOOOD music which is royalty free and would fit Daggerfall a LOT. We should expand the sound score of the game. This on the vid is not waifu but it doesnt matter :) Its XBR4x two times but who cares. Waifu turned out to be non practical. Its for different style. Like the menu etc.

Btw, feels like we are the only ppl on a whole forum these days :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last mohycans ;)