[MOD] Archaeologists

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Interkarma

Re: [MOD] Archaeologists

Post by Interkarma »

Only if the gender actually matters. Otherwise a random gender is fine. That's why most quests don't specify a gender and use the %g macros to resolve pronouns. It just doesn't matter what NPC is rolled up.

But if you start throwing around specific titles like Prince or Princess in the quest text, then you should probably tag the gender for consistency so NPC is generated to match the narrative.

Edit: Just to clarify, if you don't specify a gender then it is selected randomly. So there's only a 50/50 chance the rolled NPC will match non-scripted text like prince/princess. This is how it works in classic as well, but a lot of quests just don't specify when they should.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yes, that's exactly what I thought.

Updated the builds with Jay's new quests now.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Man-Bull Cultist

Post by Man-Bull Cultist »

It's a shame that no one has made any Ayleid Ruins resources yet, those would be great locations for an Archaeology Guild quest. Either way, if you are still looking for some inspiration, maybe try looking into Oblivion's Archaeology Guild mod or the ESO character Lady Clarisse Laurent. As for recommendations, I would love to see a quest involving Reachmen culture as they are among some my most favorite in Elder Scrolls.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'm not well versed in Elder Scrolls lore myself, and I have never heard of Reachmen. You're welcome to contribute ideas based on a better knowledge of lore, I'd be happy to implement but not to do the research that would be required.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Man-Bull Cultist

Post by Man-Bull Cultist »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 pm I'm not well versed in Elder Scrolls lore myself, and I have never heard of Reachmen. You're welcome to contribute ideas based on a better knowledge of lore, I'd be happy to implement but not to do the research that would be required.
If you have played Skyrim you will know them by the name of the group Forsworn. In Elder Scrolls Online they show up across various provinces as antagonists once more, but unlike the Forsworn depiction, each of them is a distinct clan. http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Reachmen
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Reachmen

At one time I had been developing a mod for Skyrim that revolved around them, but I had to cancel it. Besides that, I am decently versed in Elder Scrolls lore, especially when it comes to the Reachmen themselves. If I can think of any particular ideas that you could do involving them, I will be sure to let you know.

robot_cousin

Post by robot_cousin »

I have a suggestion, and would be more than happy to provide the assets required if this ends up in the mod (which I haven't had a chance to play yet, but will soon): Would anyone be interested in the locator beacon emitting a soft, gentle tone? Nothing annoying, and not something you'd be able to hear the loop point in, so it's nothing like hearing a growl over and over again, or HALT! Rather, it would likely be a mini soundscape which would maybe last anywhere from 10-15 seconds. I figure this could be handled in two ways...

1) You still see it as you do now, but it also emits a looped tone/sound effect for flavour.

2) the sound of it could be handled separately from seeing it. From what I gather, seeing the beacon will eventually be a limited time sort of thing, right? Well what if either the tone continued no matter what, so a player could theoretically use basic echolocation to determine general proximity to it once they can no longer see it, OR you have two locator charges or uses; one would be for audio and visual (expensive) and the other would be audio-only (cheap). That way, if you can't afford extra expensive, full charges, you could still scrape up enough to at least have a sound only charge.

I'm a sound designer and composer, so I'm always thinking in terms of audio :p

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Interesting ideas, I'd not given the slightest thought to audio cues actually.

I've no plans to make the locator time limited, just have a threshold for exploration before it will activate. They're expensive enough and I hate having to rush because of some time limit. (I'm essentially making it for myself, and hoping others will enjoy it as well)

Audio for activation and deactivation would be really good to have. I'm not averse to the idea of audio cues for location but I think that would need to be integrated with a more refined graphical effect which would need an artist since I have zero artistic skills. Any other audio ideas are welcomed though.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I've added my sixth Archaeologist quest. I'm coming up a bit dry on ideas for them. I do want to get to at least 8, but it'll probably take me awhile.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Jay_H wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:59 am I've added my sixth Archaeologist quest. I'm coming up a bit dry on ideas for them. I do want to get to at least 8, but it'll probably take me awhile.
Should I update my quest pack version ?
I have the first one, and I'm already getting them from the guilds..
Where do I go to get the archaeologist quests ?
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It won't exist yet since Hazelnut's the compiler, and he hasn't merged it. I understand he's extremely busy right now. Once it's compiled it'll just become a .dfmod file that goes into the mod folder, but I don't know how that happens.