[MOD] Archaeologists

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jay_H

Re: [MOD] Archaeologists

Post by Jay_H »

I just gave it a shot. Works well! I was able to trace an item almost directly through the dungeon (it got a little complicated on the way :lol: But the effect worked.)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Archaeologist quest 1: A simple research project. Get some notes from a Mages Guild flunkie... Just don't blow your cover!

Image Image Image

I asked Hazelnut's guidance on what kind of personality and aims the Archaeologists should have. I hope to make them seamless with vanilla Daggerfall style. For the first time I don't have any guild to copy off of, so this is my first attempt at truly original dialogue :) This quest has a few small branching differences, but nothing of great importance.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Archaeologists quest 2: A rescue mission.

Image Image Image

There's nothing earthshattering here in terms of gameplay, but it certainly fits in with the Archaeologist motif and makes sense as a meaningful quest.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Nice! I like them both. Look forward to trying em out.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

I have tried the mod, and I love the locator device.... this is the foundation for marking places in the world as the new games. I found a way to turn off the locator light, first I thought it was a mistake for the light to stay on after I recovered the item.
I don't know if you did anything with the dungeons they send you to or not, because there's little loot.

I think it would be a good idea to change the locator light to another color.
Spoiler!
Just a random question: In case someone wants to translate a mod like this. Would that be possible? or, the translator may need the author to unpack the dfmod, translate the files and then the author would have to repackage it?
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It's all alterable on github, so the simply way would just be to clone it and get translating. The quests would definitely be the easiest to alter, since they're in plain .txt form.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

delvisomanda wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:06 pm I have tried the mod, and I love the locator device.... this is the foundation for marking places in the world as the new games. I found a way to turn off the locator light, first I thought it was a mistake for the light to stay on after I recovered the item.
Glad you like it. It still needs refinement and balancing - trust me they will cost a lot more than 50gp in the final version! :-D
delvisomanda wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:06 pm I don't know if you did anything with the dungeons they send you to or not, because there's little loot.
Nope nothing is altered, this is just a co-incidence. I've done about 10-12 dungeons with the device (legit, no testing shortcuts) and many times have been overburdened with loot.
delvisomanda wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:06 pm I think it would be a good idea to change the locator light to another color.
Spoiler!
The locator indicator is simply the quickest thing I could use to prove the code was working. I'm actually a lot happier with the result than I expected. For 'programmer' art is pretty good. Quite surprised no one has figured out what I've used. Anyway, I would love someone with artistic abilities to create a better image - one that give the impression that it's not part of the dungeon but more of a magic image in you head. Maybe even some kind of effect, I'm open to suggestions and contributions. Note that I would need a finished ready to go image file (or files) because I had a hell of a time doing the icons and getting the alpha channel right. I don't have the skills with graphics programs.
delvisomanda wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:06 pm Just a random question: In case someone wants to translate a mod like this. Would that be possible? or, the translator may need the author to unpack the dfmod, translate the files and then the author would have to repackage it?
Definitely possible to release translated versions of the mod. As Jay said, everything is in a repo on github, so when the time comes (i.e. mod is more mature) it can be forked & translated and maintained going forward. No need to unpack releases or anything. The quests you already know about, then there's the guild rank messages which are in the guild class plus one label in the setup class. That's it, everything else is in the base DFU.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:39 pm Glad you like it. It still needs refinement and balancing - trust me they will cost a lot more than 50gp in the final version! :-D
What's that? it costs 50 gp to turn off the "light" in the dungeons? I'm spending what little money my poor Dunmer has. Thanks to the last job he was just able to buy shoes. :lol: (RP at maximum)
Hazelnut wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:39 pm I would love someone with artistic abilities to create a better image - one that give the impression that it's not part of the dungeon but more of a magic image in you head. Maybe even some kind of effect, I'm open to suggestions and contributions. Note that I would need a finished ready to go image file (or files) because I had a hell of a time doing the icons and getting the alpha channel right. I don't have the skills with graphics programs.
I can't help you here, I suck at editing images. And I'm obliged to do it in the translation I'm doing.
Hazelnut wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:39 pm Definitely possible to release translated versions of the mod. As Jay said, everything is in a repo on github, so when the time comes (i.e. mod is more mature) it can be forked & translated and maintained going forward. No need to unpack releases or anything. The quests you already know about, then there's the guild rank messages which are in the guild class plus one label in the setup class. That's it, everything else is in the base DFU.
I'll have to study this on how to do it, because I have no idea.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I meant that each locator costs 50gp. That's when you get to rank 2 and can buy charges. You turn it off by using the active one under magic items tab as I assume you already discovered.

About translations, I will show you exactly where text is in the classes. It will be no harder to translate than the quests.

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47 pm I meant that each locator costs 50gp. That's when you get to rank 2 and can buy charges. You turn it off by using the active one under magic items tab as I assume you already discovered.
Oh, I misunderstood you.
Hazelnut wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47 pm About translations, I will show you exactly where text is in the classes. It will be no harder to translate than the quests.
Thanks man, but this is more for the future. Right now i'm busy with the vanilla stuff