(Slightly) Higher Res Vanilla Sprites v1.1

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Mosin Nagant

(Slightly) Higher Res Vanilla Sprites v1.1

Post by Mosin Nagant »

Slightly Higher Res Vanilla Sprites

This is a simple mod that takes the sprites from TEXTURE.186 (Test Big Flats) and replaces the corresponding sprites in TEXTURE.182 (medium Common people). TEXTURE.186 appears to be unused sprites that are slightly higher resolution versions of those found in TEXTURE.182. I was surprised that Daggerfall never implemented these. I suspect that it was due to memory constraints of hardware from the time. You can find many of them at Inns, Mages Guilds, and Fighters guilds.

Update: 6/4/2018, v1.1
This is a small update that changes three sprites to remove stuck pixels. Whatever technique Bethesda used to compress Daggerfalls animations, they didn't do it perfectly. Many animations in the game have pixels "stuck" or "left over" from the previous frames. This update fixes that issue for the sprites included in this pack.

I stated in the known issues that the races on some characters have changed. Now that I have time for modding again, I will be releasing those alternative sprites within the week. I wanted to release this minor update to keep me motivated to work on it! :)

These sprites are an improvement on their low res counterparts in that they have:
-Noticeably more distinct facial features
-Better shading and dithering
-More textured hair

Before and after shots:

Installation:
Decompress the .7z archive and place all of the contents of HVSR folder into ...\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Textures

If you are using other high res sprite replacers, you'll have to decide which ones you prefer to use.

Known Issues:
-A couple of musician sprites have SLIGHT animation errors. fixed in v1.1
-Some characters are in a different pose, I MIGHT change some of these.
-Race has changed on some characters, specifically, the Redguard Inn-keep is now Breton. This is just how the sprites were made, but I will release an alternative sprite to make it more faithful to the original game soon.
-There may still be some versions of these sprites that aren't replaced yet, possibly in places like castle Wayrest or Sentinel.

I will fix most of the issues in the near future. Let me know if you find any issues, and have fun! :D

DOWNLOAD

v1.1
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ohpom21nkp75871

OLD: v1.0
http://www.mediafire.com/file/q29f2dqfb52ukqj
Last edited by Mosin Nagant on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Previously known as LordMordecai on DXL forums

Interkarma

Re: (Slightly) Higher Res Vanilla Sprites

Post by Interkarma »

These are quite lovely. I like that you've kept the same overall style and gently added more detail. Great work. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, just wanted to point out in my upscaling project I used all these high res flats as a source. But i switched some parts from original lower res if i felt its a good idea, which in many cases is.. than i added details manually etc. U can see that work in NPC waifu upscaling thread.

But yes, those are just on my pc and not released yet :) so this mod of yours is definitelly saluted!

Mosin Nagant

Post by Mosin Nagant »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:54 am These are quite lovely. I like that you've kept the same overall style and gently added more detail. Great work. :)
Well they're unused Bethesda sprites, so I would hope they'd stick to the same style :lol:. Also, quick question: I generated normal maps for a couple NPCs, as I felt the lighting system could really complement the sprites (especially for monsters in dark dungeons), but in game, it didn't seem like they had any affect. Is the effect not supported for sprites?
King of Worms wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:21 am Hi, just wanted to point out in my upscaling project I used all these high res flats as a source. But i switched some parts from original lower res if i felt its a good idea, which in many cases is.. than i added details manually etc. U can see that work in NPC waifu upscaling thread.

But yes, those are just on my pc and not released yet :) so this mod of yours is definitelly saluted!
I'm really excited for your upscaled NPC mod! The current results look really good!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Mosin Nagant wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:24 pm Well they're unused Bethesda sprites, so I would hope they'd stick to the same style :lol:. Also, quick question: I generated normal maps for a couple NPCs, as I felt the lighting system could really complement the sprites (especially for monsters in dark dungeons), but in game, it didn't seem like they had any affect. Is the effect not supported for sprites?
Ah, I've misunderstood then. Now I see what you're doing. Complement revoked! :P :lol:

I believe billboards will import normal maps if available (TheLacus might need to confirm). But they will probably still end up looking a bit flat.

Mosin Nagant

Post by Mosin Nagant »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:40 pm Complement revoked! :P :lol:
Just plain harsh. :D
I believe billboards will import normal maps if available (TheLacus might need to confirm). But they will probably still end up looking a bit flat.
Interesting. Even with absolutely bonkers normal maps like the one attached here, I'm not seeing a difference. I tested it by taking a screenshot of an NPC with and without the normal map and looking for any differences in GIMP. As far as I can tell, all pixels in the screenshots were 100% identical.

Even with low res-images, I would suspect that something crazy like this would make a noticeable difference.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Probably something TheLacus will need to answer then. I'm not 100% sure if billboards do use the normal map.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Only albedo is imported, plus emission maps when a record is reported as emissive. My idea was a 1:1 replacement for sprites, leaving to prefabs the potential for further customization. I can change this if you think is worth it, but there are some billboards which share the atlas with original textures. I think we would have to migrate all imported textures to be used with an individual material or check if emission/normal is available for first record of archive (which is something i'm not really fond of because it can lead to confusion).
Mosin Nagant wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:55 pm Decompress the .7z archive and place all of the contents of HVSR folder into ...\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Textures

If you are using other high res sprite replacers, you'll have to decide which ones you prefer to use.
You need a tool for the (free) unity editor, but you can also build a dfmod which benefits of load order :) The downside is that you can't choose individual textures, either you install the mod or you don't.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I think this is something we've all thought of doing, but you're the first one to actually achieve it :lol: Thank you!

Mosin Nagant

Post by Mosin Nagant »

TheLacus wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:21 pm Only albedo is imported, plus emission maps when a record is reported as emissive. My idea was a 1:1 replacement for sprites, leaving to prefabs the potential for further customization. I can change this if you think is worth it, but there are some billboards which share the atlas with original textures. I think we would have to migrate all imported textures to be used with an individual material or check if emission/normal is available for first record of archive (which is something i'm not really fond of because it can lead to confusion).
The ease of use is always welcome, but you know much, much more about the DFU codebase than I do. I don't think it's worth your effort just for my mod, especially if I can implement it in a dfmod.
TheLacus wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:21 pm You need a tool for the (free) unity editor, but you can also build a dfmod which benefits of load order :) The downside is that you can't choose individual textures, either you install the mod or you don't.
Could I use an .ini file so users can select which textures they want?
Jay_H wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:40 pm I think this is something we've all thought of doing, but you're the first one to actually achieve it :lol: Thank you!
I was actually quite surprised that no one had done it yet! :lol: