Modding idea: Highlight unexplored paths on dungeon automap

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Macadaynu

Modding idea: Highlight unexplored paths on dungeon automap

Post by Macadaynu »

I find the dungeon automap difficult to use, I had the idea of highlighting each undiscovered accessible path to make it easier to see which areas still need exploring. I'm just creating notes for these undiscovered areas for now, and then removing them once the location has been discovered.

I looked at the Automap.cs class and there is logic already in place to say whether or not a mesh is 'discovered' or not, so I thought I could use that to determine where to place the notes.

The next problem is to determine where is 'accessible', I thought I could just do a distance check (between the undiscovered and discovered mesh), which kind of worked:

https://ibb.co/yR09tYn

but there are cases where an undiscovered location is close to a discovered location, but is not accessible (through walls etc.):

https://ibb.co/yhPGZ0V

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Is modding classes like Automap even allowed?

Thanks

_brain

Re: Modding idea: Highlight unexplored paths on dungeon automap

Post by _brain »

I actually started working on one of those a couple of days ago, but it's not working exactly the way you describe.

So far, what I've implemented is:
- Complete mapping of the dungeon by basically ray flooding.
- Pathfinding A* to highlight certain paths leading to points of interests (such as quest marker, exit, undiscovered rooms, etc).
- Fading paths based on how important they are. If you have explored a room and got nothing else leading through it, for example, it will be almost completely transparent once you leave it- it simply won't bother you again. This extends to whole branches as you keep exploring the dungeon.
- Explored paths leading to undiscovered locations are a bit transparent, but you won't miss them.
- Paths leading to the primary objective is opaque.
- Unexplored rooms are not visible, as per the default implementation.

I haven't really considered adding a marker to undiscovered locations. I suppose it's very much doable.

Basically, what this implementation does is to allow you to keep running along. If you just stay on the more opaque paths, you will eventually explore everything.

Is this something you would like to try?

EDIT:
Just a clarification. It does not explore the dungeon for you, but everything you have discovered will start getting faded this way. It helps you by guiding you a bit towards your goal, and reducing clutter by almost completely hiding rooms you have explored and are of no further importance. =)

Macadaynu

Re: Modding idea: Highlight unexplored paths on dungeon automap

Post by Macadaynu »

Hi thanks for the reply, yes I'd be interested in trying your mod out.

It looks like you are a bit further on than I got, I have been working on some other mods ideas lately, but may come back to this at some point.

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks the automap could use some tweaks :lol: