3D Humanoid Model Replacer

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Hermit

Re: 3D Humanoid Model Replacer

Post by Hermit »

MasonFace wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:58 pm No, I'm afraid not. I've been so busy with other projects that I haven't had a chance to try to compile UMA for the newest version of DFU.

After Hrafni started making high quality humanoid models, I kinda felt less enthused about going through the trouble integrating UMA into DFU.

I was going to help Hrafni implement his models into the game, but I don't think he's been around lately, probably tied up with IRL stuff if I had to guess.
I can't tell you how sad I was to read that you've decided to stop working on this mod... Could you please post what you've got so far on https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity?
And please give permission to someone to continue working on it?

PeterSchultz

Post by PeterSchultz »

If you could update us on this 3D model, I would like to continue/help you with the mod.

If you gave up on it, and give me permission to continue your work you will be credited as the creator, otherwise contact me so I can help you with it.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Not sure who these last two posts were addressed to.

Concarne was the originator of this thread and he was replacing the 2D villagers and some MOBs with skinned 3D models.

Shortly after, TheLacus implemented modding hooks for a proper implementation of 3D model replacement of mobile billboards.

Later on, I tried replacing the 2D villagers with configurable humanoid meshes generated at runtime with UMA. This involved compiling UMA into a DLL, but I couldn't get version 2.0 to compile correctly, and 2.10 required the project to support .NET 4.0 or greater, which DFU did not at the time. I haven't gone back and tried it again since then.

After that I implemented my SpriteWrite utility in there, but it was really buggy when two characters got close together and I was never able to solve this issue.

What was shown in the (NSFW) video I posted was all in the Unity editor. I couldn't get the whole thing packaged as a mod because DFU didn't support .NET 4.0 at the time.

As for preserving my work, there's really nothing for me to upload. Anyone can download UMA from Github and compile it into a DLL.

Then follow this thread on how to load the DLL as a mod.

They could then follow TheLacus's tutorial for replacing a 2D Mobile with a 3D Mesh to get the character in game.

I've backed up my SpriteWrite Utility as part of Hrafni's Playground test scene if anyone wants to try to incorporate that and fix it up.

If you're just wanting the 3D models that Hrafni (Hrafnyx) made, then you'll have to wait for him to contact you.

Anyhow, I hope someone will pick up the torch and make something great out of it. I just don't have the time nowadays.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Does DFU support the net framework to pick this up again?
My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I think so. Seems like DFU supports .NET 4.0 after it was moved over to Unity 2019 LTS.

Edit: Removed my renege after InterKarma confirmed my original statement.
Last edited by MasonFace on Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I can confirm that DFU uses Mono 4.x in current master. :) We switched over around the same time we changed to Unity 2019.4 LTS.