Modding Tutorials

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Hazelnut

Re: Modding Tutorials

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks TheLacus, appreciate the confirmation and understand now.

By the way I think I found an issue with the preset selection box - it doesn't handle descriptions that are not very short gracefully. I tried adding descriptionLabel.WrapText = true; to the label which helps but the wrapping is not very good. Just a heads up in case you were unaware.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

flynsarmy

Post by flynsarmy »

The 'Setup' scene described in the original post no longer exists in the repo. I tried pressing the play button in Unity with each scenes available but can't get to the mod manager:
  • BasicScene - Does nothing
  • DaggerfallUnityGame - Starts the game at the cinematic before the load screen with no mods as far as I can tell
  • DaggerfallUnityStartup - Opens a floating camera looking at a castle. Image
How do I load the game in live view to test my mod? My mod has been successfully built and works fine when i do a File - Build and Run but being able to use the live view would be a lot faster.

EDIT: I re-extracted the git repo download and we all good now. Startup scene correctly shows the Daggerfall Unity menu.

EDIT 2: Looks like this was caused by me building all 3 OS versions of my mod. It was trying to load them all on game start and erroring out. Annoyingly the 'Mod Builder' window defaults to having all 3 OS's checked by default every time I open it.

verytrueidiot

Post by verytrueidiot »

how do you get modmanager and the bundle

garmer

Post by garmer »

Hi. Is there a new instruction for creating fonts? On the page https://www.dfworkshop.net/creating-sdf ... fall-unity / written that is no longer relevant. But more interested in supporting Cyrillic characters. If you create a font with Cyrillic, the game will display Russian words, for example?

verytrueidiot

does anyone know where to get the mod builder in unity

Post by verytrueidiot »

does anyone know where to get the mod builder in unity

TheLacus

Re: does anyone know where to get the mod builder in unity

Post by TheLacus »

verytrueidiot wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:29 pm does anyone know where to get the mod builder in unity
Download Unity 2019.4.10f1 LTS and daggerfall-unity.

Mythraen

Post by Mythraen »

I am struggling to even begin to follow the instructions here.
I do not understand what I need to open in Unity in order to follow the tutorials.
I downloaded the project from github and the unity editor as recommended by the post above this.

Alright, I've finally got it.
This was a nightmare for me with my ADHD, and prevented from starting for weeks.

Downloading the Daggerfall master from github is not mentioned anywhere in the tutorial that I see. Nor does it mention selecting the Daggerfall master folder as your project.
Those two steps (and possibly acquiring the specific version of Unity?) would be very nice to have in there.

I guess I'll just keep adding my issues and how I resolved them (if I resolve them).
I was not expecting the menu at the top to change, so it took me a bit to realize "Daggerfall Tools" was up there.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Hi guys, modding noob here!

I downloaded the DF Unity project last night and wanted to try my hand at improving the quest log UI

I wanted to list all quests by title, then 'drill in and out' of the quest info by right clicking on each quest, here's what I mean:

As you can see I've also put the relevant location in brackets (where applicable, you can still fast travel from here using left click)

Only problem is, to do this I needed to modify the DaggerfallQuestJournalWindow class, which after reading some of the posts on this forum seems that's a no go for modding?

So I've only got this working in my local Unity project at the moment, is there any way to get this kind of thing working as a dfmod? I had some other ideas for it as well, and just wanted to know if I'm wasting my time or not?

Thanks!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Hi! You can register your replacement window with UIWindowFactory using UIWindowType.QuestJournal.

Code: Select all

void Start()
{
    UIWindowFactory.RegisterCustomUIWindow(UIWindowType.QuestJournal, typeof(DaggerfallQuestJournalWindowReplacement));
}

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

TheLacus wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:37 pm Hi! You can register your replacement window with UIWindowFactory using UIWindowType.QuestJournal.

Code: Select all

void Start()
{
    UIWindowFactory.RegisterCustomUIWindow(UIWindowType.QuestJournal, typeof(DaggerfallQuestJournalWindowReplacement));
}
This is exactly what I needed, Thanks!