Leather/Chain materials?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Jeoshua

Re: Leather/Chain materials?

Post by Jeoshua »

So I got Unity to work and delved into the source code. Much of what I assumed would have been stored in data files to change as options is actually hard coded... in like 10 different files, and over two dozen procedures. Long story short, none of my ideas hold any water. To change this would require an engine rewrite. New items aren't even an option, as it would require the same amount of work.

On the other hand, having a script which runs constantly and sets skills and attributes on the fly based on what you're wearing is very possible, as is setting the "dyeColor" for otherwise "Uncolored" pieces of Leather or Chain. You could also change the "shortName" of the armor to call it whatever you want. You could use those to determine if a piece of armor has been given a material in the past, then use the global script to change one's stats, as well as the value, weight, and enchantment points of the changed armor. These last bits would be save-game compatible, and even work if the mod were switched off with no issues (other than losing any benefits given directly by the script)

The problem here is that the information given on the paper doll would be wrong. But it's an idea.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

I think if armor was programmed as being +1 for every material for leather and plus +2 for change with the native pallete swaps or some other pallete swap that would be a great addition to the game.

Consequence of Grace

Post by Consequence of Grace »

I love this idea. Leather, boiled leather, studded leather etc and steel, mithril, ebony chain and so on seem quite natural.