Possibly Audio Bug When More Mods Are Enabled?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Magicono43

Possibly Audio Bug When More Mods Are Enabled?

Post by Magicono43 »

So has anyone noticed this? That if you have a moderate amount of mods enabled that the "clicking" noise that you hear when interacting with some interface starts to duplicate/trail off (You can hear the interface noise by opening your inventory and clicking on the exit button, that noise, but trailing off)? Curious if anyone else has noticed this annoying audio bug.

With this, I would have to assume that maybe this happens (especially when you have more mods installed) because many mods that use the "Update" method from Unity's "Monobehavior" class causes the updates per-frame to be taxed somewhat and causes stuff such as the clicking sound for the interface to start repeating and trailing off improperly? Maybe others that have better overall frame-rates would not experience this?

Dubiousintent

Re: Possibly Audio Bug When More Mods Are Enabled?

Post by Dubiousintent »

Hmm. I have noticed recently when I use the "shortcut keys" in the Inventory screen to sell items that the "y" key to confirm the sale tends to repeat it's "click" at least once and sometimes several times, despite my efforts to only strike the key quickly. Hadn't connected it to the number of mods in use before, and not sure if it's the same "click" as yours, but I do have 50 mods active (counting the DREAM modules separately) at the moment.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

I would think it is probably pretty similar honestly, you probably have a better rig than myself so maybe it's not as noticeable for you. I don't think it's that big of an issue, but just want to know if anyone else has a similar experience here.

pango

Post by pango »

I'm pretty sure it's that issue
tl;dr: closing UI windows explicitly requests Unity to release unused assets immediately, so depending on hardware and (sound) driver specs this can cause a sound buffer underrun. On some computers you don't even need to have mods installed.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

pango wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:11 am I'm pretty sure it's that issue
tl;dr: closing UI windows explicitly requests Unity to release unused assets immediately, so depending on hardware and (sound) driver specs this can cause a sound buffer underrun. On some computers you don't even need to have mods installed.
Interesting, that does sound right to the thing i'm experiencing. If every time the UI windows are closed Unity gets multiple requests to released assets, that would probably explain why closing the UI windows can cause a lot of stuttering, especially when there are a fair amount of mods installed.

At least that sort of explains the problem i'm having, which is not what I assumed it was. Would be nice if this somehow got fixed in the future, if it can be fixed that is, could just be a necessary step with Unity though. Thanks for the affirmation.