new maxima for attributes+skills development based on race and chosen primary, major and minor skills

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
meritamas

new maxima for attributes+skills development based on race and chosen primary, major and minor skills

Post by meritamas »

EDITED AND RE-PURPOSED 15 MAY 2020

There was an original 3. point, Unleveled Spells but I am now tackling via a mod of the same name.

I'd also like to do something to implement some more of the ideas discussed in this thread.
One of the steps could be a mod that does the following.

1. New maxima for attributes
meritamas wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:58 am Breton: STR -2 END +0 INT +2 WIL +2 SPEED +0 AGI -2
High Elf: STR -2 END -2 INT +2 WIL +2 SPEED +0 AGI +0
Wood Elf: STR -1 END -2 INT 0 WIL -1 SPEED +2 AGI +2
Dark Elf: STR +0 END -2 INT +1 WIL +0 SPEED +0 AGI +1
Redguard: STR +2 END +0 INT -2 WIL -2 SPEED +1 AGI +1
Nord: STR +2 END +2 INT -2 WIL +0 SPEED -1 AGI -1
Khajiit: STR -1 END +1 INT +0 WIL -2 SPEED +1 AGI +1
Argonian: STR -1 END +1 INT +1 WIL +0 SPEED -1 AGI +0

The table is to be interpreted in the following way.
-2 means that the given race has a base maximum of 80 defined for the given attribute. Likewise, -1 implies a maximum of 90, +0 a maximum of 100, +1 a maximum of 111 and +2 a maximum of +125. I tried to set the figures so that it be as well balanced as I could manage. I left out personality and luck so that each race has equal opportunity in these areas.
This one should be achievable by doing something related to the FormulaHelper class's MaxStatValue() method. It suggests that there should be a possibility to register overrides somehow. Will be looking at it some more when I get the time, but would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

2. New maxima for skills
meritamas wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:58 am [...] the basic rule could be that a character of a given race can master a skill to the same maximum as the base maximum stated above for the attribute that governs the given skill + extra points enabled by the fact that the given skill is the character's primary skill etc. [...]:
+25 for Primary skills
+11 for Major skills
+0 for Minor skills
-20 for miscellaneous skills

The skill increase mechanism would also need fine-tuning. I think the amount of effort it takes to develop a given skill should be contingent not on current skill level, but on the difference between its maximum and current state.
The most likely way to do this would be a reimplementation of the PlayerEntity class's RaiseSkills() method and probably some other things in FormulaHelper and other places RaiseSkills refers to. I am not sure if this could/should be done via writing a new method and registering it somewhere or by a clean reimplementation of the class (and registering that somewhere).

I'd appreciate your thoughts on my approach. Please do let me know if you think something is bound to fail. Thanks.
Last edited by meritamas on Fri May 15, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

meritamas

Unleveled Spells + attributes and skills above 100

Post by meritamas »

Most of the original text of this post was removed at the time the thread was repurposed 15 May 2020.

Would also appreciate suggestions with regard to the first two issues:
- New maxima for attributes
- New maxima for skills
Last edited by meritamas on Fri May 15, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

meritamas

Re: new maxima for attributes+skills development based on race and chosen primary, major and minor skills

Post by meritamas »

Repurposed the thread after the release of Unleveled Spells. If anyone has suggestions that might be useful for the new, more clearly defined purpose of the topic, please consider sharing them with me. Thank you.

Ralzar

Re: new maxima for attributes+skills development based on race and chosen primary, major and minor skills

Post by Ralzar »

I actually have two mods related to this.

LevelUp Adjuster which uses formulahelper.cs to allow you to adjust your Attribute Maximum.

Races Redone which currently just add/subtracts attribute numbers based on race rules. This mod could actually use the formulahelper.cs to adjust max stats based on race.

However, a problem with using the formulahelper override function is that only that last mod loaded will override. There's no way (as far as I know) to "merge" override functions dynamically based on which mods the player has installed. This is why I didn't use this with Races Redone, because then it and LevelUp Adjuster would start having conflicts.

That said, I can handle this by doing some logic that makes Races Redone load after LevelUp Adjust, checks if LevelUp Adjuster is loaded and then adjusts numbers based on what max LevelUp Adjuster is set at. I'll take a look at doing this.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Another thing I am likely to have omitted.
I'd also like skill increases to be unleveled (independent from character level). Instead, the amount of practice it should take to gain a new skill point could depend on things like:
- The number of skill points until you reach your achievable maximum (the more there is to go, the less practice).
- Governing attribute points (the higher the governing attribute, the less practice should be required)

If we'd like to make it harder and harder to gain skill points even in other skills if you have a lot of skill in somethings, we could take into account something like the sum of all skill points the character has.
We could also take into account that it is a lot easier for a given individual to learn his 5th language in comparison to his first or second. So, if you have some of your languages skills high, it could help gain points in other language skills.

In a few words, I'd like it if these things were customizable via the mod system, and am wondering if there is presently a good way to achieve such objectives.