[Solved] Adding new spellicons into the game

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Shdorsh

[Solved] Adding new spellicons into the game

Post by Shdorsh »

Hello folks, total newbie here, sorry if I am asking a question that was already answered but can't find it anywhere.

I've been trying to add new spell icons into my game, mainly just by adding into the DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/SpellIcons file of the compiled game. Basically, what I've done is:
1) take icons from an old shutdown MMO (Vanguard Saga of Heroes)
2) use a neural net to upscale the icon size from 40x40 to 128x128 while increasing quality, in .png format
3) Create an icon text file based on the other ones in the folder, with rowCount, iconCount, icons and displayName adapted to my icon file.

Problem is it isn't showing up at all. That's why I'd like to ask what I am doing wrong, do I need to add them into the source and compile it or does it need some mod to detect it? Maybe my text file is written pretty wonky since I am basically just tapping around blindly.

Here's the link to both the icon png and the file.

Sorry for being a newbie to everything here, I came to the game with modding as my main intent but don't have much knowledge C-wise or Unity-wise (though I hope this will change ;) )
Last edited by Shdorsh on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACNAero

Re: Adding new spellicons into the game

Post by ACNAero »

You have to go into your spellbook and click the spell icon, which will bring up the list. This will only work for spells you cast from the spellbook and not any effects from enchanted items or potions.

Shdorsh

Re: Adding new spellicons into the game

Post by Shdorsh »

Nevermind, I know what's wrong, sorry. Basically, this is my second attempt at getting those icons in and in the second attempt I forgot about the text file halfway, which was the reason why it didn't work. Also fixed a small thing I forgot to do away with paint.net before feeding the icons to the neural net, so I redid this. Sorry for all the trouble due to an oversight of mine :roll:

The final version is here and anyone who wants Vanguard: Saga of Heroes icons (or just more icons) for spells, you're free to download and use it. Just unzip it and put it in SpellIcons.