[Solved] Movie replacement works on Windows but not Linux

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
XJDHDR

[Solved] Movie replacement works on Windows but not Linux

Post by XJDHDR »

I have a mod on Nexus Mods that replaces the game's intro video with a blank one, causing the game to skip straight to Daggerfall's New/Load game menu. You can find it here: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/99

Yesterday, Jay_H commented that the video file is not working for him on Linux (Mint, I'm guessing from his screenshot). Conversely, the video file is working fine for me on Windows 10. This leads me to believe that EXT4's case sensitivity is at work here. My mod is a single video file named ANIM0001.mp4, which is in accordance with the modding docs.

My question is whether there is a correct way that the file has to be named which the docs have to be updated to account for or if this is a bug that only manifests on Linux? Is case supposed to matter at all?
Last edited by XJDHDR on Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Re: Movie replacement works on Windows but not Linux

Post by pango »

I have another explanation, on Linux the Unity's VideoPlayer does not support mp4 format, so Daggerfall Unity looks for webm format videos instead.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1168&start=1310
The simplest fix would be to override the two possible video filenames.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

pango wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:52 am I have another explanation, on Linux the Unity's VideoPlayer does not support mp4 format, so Daggerfall Unity looks for webm format videos instead.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1168&start=1310
The simplest fix would be to override the two possible video filenames.
Thanks for the help. However, I encoded the video as a webm using the VP8 and Vorbis codecs but Jay_H just told me that the webm video is being ignored for him just like the mp4 was.

pango

Post by pango »

If I install the Linux version of your mod, copying the video as .../DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Movies/ANIM0001.webm then it works for me: clicking on "Play" in the launcher, the next thing displayed is the "Load Game / Start New Game / Exit" screen.
In conjunction with DREAM, it also prevented playing intro video.

I just tested with the development version, but nothing has changed recently concerning video playback.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Thanks Pango. I updated the docs to add information on webm being used on Linux.

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

pango wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:43 pm If I install the Linux version of your mod, copying the video as .../DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Movies/ANIM0001.webm then it works for me: clicking on "Play" in the launcher, the next thing displayed is the "Load Game / Start New Game / Exit" screen.
In conjunction with DREAM, it also prevented playing intro video.

I just tested with the development version, but nothing has changed recently concerning video playback.
Thanks for confirming that it works. Jay_H also sent me another message to tell me that he made a mistake and the webm video is actually working for him as well.
TheLacus wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:04 pm Thanks Pango. I updated the docs to add information on webm being used on Linux.
You read my mind. I was going to request this afterwards.