Altering Vanilla Dungeon Blocks/Replacing Vanilla Dungeons With Custom Ones, Is It Possible?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Magicono43

Altering Vanilla Dungeon Blocks/Replacing Vanilla Dungeons With Custom Ones, Is It Possible?

Post by Magicono43 »

Was having a discussion on the Fan Discord about ways that dungeon enemy spawns could be made better, and there were many good suggestions, but I feel like a fundamental problem with the vanilla spawn system is not just the spawn table system, but the locations of the random spawn locations in vanilla dungeon blocks as well. So with that context for the first question. With knowing that the vanilla dungeon blocks are read directly from the Daggerfall data files, is it currently feasibly possible to modify the vanilla dungeon blocks to say change the location of spawn markers, add new side-rooms, and any other variety of different things that could be changed?

Now for the second question that will likely get me called crazy for even suggesting the idea. Would it be possible to make a completely custom made dungeon block (which is obviously currently possible), however with the caveat being that instead of adding a new "modded" dungeon location in for this custom block, instead replace one of the existing random dungeon interior block layouts with this custom block?

So for possibly better way to describe this. Let's say I wanted to make a dungeon currently in the vanilla game that is of the type "Natural Cave" into an actual cave. Could I make a custom block and then replace the entire existing interior of that dungeon to instead be my custom made dungeon block?

Thanks in advance, I know this is likely a question that has not been looked into much, since it is quite the undertaking to consider possibly replacing all the randomly generated dungeon with more custom made versions in such a massive game world as Daggerfall's.

Magicono43

Re: Altering Vanilla Dungeon Blocks/Replacing Vanilla Dungeons With Custom Ones, Is It Possible?

Post by Magicono43 »

So after digging just surface level into certain recent mods, such as "Visitable Crypts" and the large scale mountain quest from "Roleplay Realism", I think my question has generally already been answered, in that yes, this is possible. The question now is what would be the process for say making a custom block and somehow translating all that is inside that block into something usable for DFU? I know a few people have mentioned this process in bits and pieces such as Burt, but i'm not sure if anyone has made any comprehensive guide to do it, which I would be happy to attempt and do if I can figure it out myself, so will keep this thread up to date on that progress.

Hazelnut

Re: Altering Vanilla Dungeon Blocks/Replacing Vanilla Dungeons With Custom Ones, Is It Possible?

Post by Hazelnut »

The first place to check is the world data overrides tutorial thread. It gives a lot of info, but so far no one has created a custom dungeon block yet, Burt was the closest as he'd done a lot of prototyping.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:24 pm The first place to check is the world data overrides tutorial thread. It gives a lot of info, but so far no one has created a custom dungeon block yet, Burt was the closest as he'd done a lot of prototyping.
Will do, here is the specific thread in question for anyone looking at this later: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2857

I'll see what I can extract from this as well as hopefully some other sources.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Definitely possible, I will bring you up to speed this week. Starting on documentation tonight, so far I can do layouts, lights, decorations and enemies. Activators is what I need to dive into next but after that, it has all the features of the vanilla dungeons
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:18 am Definitely possible, I will bring you up to speed this week. Starting on documentation tonight, so far I can do layouts, lights, decorations and enemies. Activators is what I need to dive into next but after that, it has all the features of the vanilla dungeons
Thank you very much Burt, I look forward to it!