How to define city as place not defined as permanent?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
haloterm

How to define city as place not defined as permanent?

Post by haloterm »

For my BHC quest, I want to send the player to Tulune city. When in the city, I want to use something I already did with Daggerfall City, where I used:

Code: Select all

Place _DaggerfallCity_ permanent DaggerfallCity1
Unfortunately, not every capital seems to be usable in this way, at least according to Jay's quest element index: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=606

So I can not write something like

Code: Select all

Place _TuluneCity_ permanent TuluneCity
? Is there another way how to check if the player is at a given region capital?

Edit: As a workaround, I could restrain myself to places which are defined as permant -- i.e. the cities of Daggerfall, Wayrest, Sentinel and Orsinium ... which is really a small choice, and somehow goes against the idea of my quest packages (which is to make the rest of the Iliac Bay more interesting and give some purpose to visit it. Of course the quest's travel guides / hiking guides (my custom books) may give some players enough motivation to visit these places, but having some actual quest-based connection would still be nice.

Edit 2: And yes, there are some other permanently-defined places in more regions, like witch covens, some castles ... but I'd want to avoid using these, since they are so special and should not be "wasted", whereas in a city a lot of stuff can happen one could make a quest about...

haloterm

Re: How to define city as place not defined as permanent?

Post by haloterm »

Maybe an idea I just got while reading the world data overrides thread:

Step 1. I could define a new location, like done in the Roleplay Realism mod: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods/bl ... 01-16.json since this definition includes the region. So I would create a location fitting my purpose (maybe just a small village or such), which in step 2 I would use in the quest:

Step 2. Then, it seems I could reference the new location as permanent in my quest, again as done in aforementioned mod: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods/bl ... STARM1.txt (see especially line 758, where the location defined in step 1 is used as "permanent" location in the quest).

This way, I could use this new location to start the actual Tulune quest line...

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Hm, okay, won't work this way. It was very easy to get a new location using world data overrides where I want to have it... but it seems using it in a quest as permanent location requires real modding / programming, which is beyond of my capabilities at the moment... hm...

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It does require real modding. There were some preliminary thoughts about being able to choose any pixel in the world as a quest location, but the idea didn't make it in. For now, only the locations baked into the quest system can be called permanently.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:56 pm It does require real modding. There were some preliminary thoughts about being able to choose any pixel in the world as a quest location, but the idea didn't make it in. For now, only the locations baked into the quest system can be called permanently.
Okay, thanks for answering :)

I see. Seems I have to learn C# and Unity just for being able to let my quest take place somewhere else than the cities of Daggerfall, Sentinel, Wayrest, or Orsinium... which I probably can do, but is a lot of effort. Or I simply say: well, forget the other regions of the Iliac Bay, just stay in the main capitals... but that spoils the whole idea of my quest, where I wanted the player to explore the lesser-known regions.

I wonder why it was done like that in the original Daggerfall.