Modding Tutorials: Asset-Injection

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
TheLacus

Re: [GUIDE] Mesh, Texture and Sound replacement

Post by TheLacus »

Thank you. I think the best option is to provide a single white texture and apply the right color, much like it already happens with vanilla textures. This would provide a basic support for the original functionalities for texture replacement, while you can always simulate different colors and glass variations for different buildings if you import a prefab.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thank you for looking into it. Im a bit confused tho because I still dont know how exactly should the emission map look like so the functionality of the building windows going automatically yellow at night is preserved - as it is now, it doesnt work, my windows stay blue during the night - they dont change color.

If I understand it right, I should make the the black and white emission map, and than replace the white with the right color, which I guess is that blue RGB - 64/110/128... but that would basically leave me at the exact spot Im at now. Im affraid Im missing something here. I produce the emission map in Photoshop, I dont use Unity at all atm...
Last edited by King of Worms on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Or more simply.... if someone can send me ONE WORKING emission map for a window, it would solve everything, thank you ;)

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

I have been messing around with the emission maps, and found no working solution. The problem is, that for building textures with windows there are two emission textures, one for day, one for night. Blue and yellow. (Don't know how the technical gears and pulleys work, maybe there is only one texture, and is swapped according to game daytime.)
However, there only seems to be the option to add a single emission texture into the textures folder, which replaces both dafault emission maps. So the day-night cycle is not going to work.

Now that I think of it, where do the default emission maps originate from? I can not find it in DFimaging, so is it something that DFU generates from the original building textures or something? If so, maybe moving that step after loading the custom textures would solve the issue.

P.S.: Seems like mages guild in Chesterwark (checked during snow season) is missing the default emission map, the windows stay black all the time. In DF the windows are lit just like other buildings.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I spoke with The Lacus and he is aware of the problem.

"Automatic color switch is currently not implemented for imported emission maps. You can use them for lamps etc. but windows keep their original color"

So that is a thing which is not implemented yet. I also have no idea where the original emission maps originate from, deffo they are not at DFimaginig... Anyway.. we need to wait for this to work

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Hi ifkopifko, as you guessed mission maps are created from the base texture using fixed colors (yellow and blue).

The choice for imported texture is to allows two emission maps or take part of original behaviour and apply a color over a white texture. I'm sure modelers will want to simulate different window glasses for different buildings, but this is something you can already do if you import a building model so, for the purpose of simple texture replacement over vanilla meshes, i went for the vanilla route.

I pushed a PR to Interkarma which makes imported emission maps to be treated like the created one. When you import a black and white texture, the right color is applied in the same way as vanilla.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for cooperation :)
Portraits.jpg
Portraits.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 5282 times

Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

WOOOW. I want these portraits in my Daggerfall right now! :D :D

Igor

Post by Igor »

It seems to me that I do everything according to the instructions, but nothing happens. I'm trying to replace the first picture in the folder WEAPON02. In the game, the old image remains.
Attachments
pic_2.jpg
pic_2.jpg (15.32 KiB) Viewed 4953 times
pic_1.jpg
pic_1.jpg (43.72 KiB) Viewed 4953 times

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Hi, you must define a material, see First Person Weapons section here.
Please tell me if you need more specific help ;)