Modding Tutorials: Asset-Injection

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Greyfox

Re: [GUIDE] Mesh, Texture and Sound replacement

Post by Greyfox »

Thanks for the answers, I will try it this weekend again.
TheLacus wrote:
Greyfox wrote:I can not replace textures, what am I doing wrong ?
What version of Daggerfall Unity are you using?
I downloaded the newest last weekend.
TheLacus wrote:I can confirm you can replace this texture in windows but I have been able to replicate the issue with Linux.

In general Nystul is correct, if something doesn't work it's probably not yet implemented, but this seems a platform specific issue.
I think I have been careful with paths, I'll need to investigate on this.
The thing is that it doesn't seem to work for any textures for me. I tried the start screen, the character origin map (because it is in the moding examples and I wanted to be a 100% sure I got the naming convention right) and some in game textures. I'm not sure I'm editing the right ones for the latter though, since I'm still in Privateer's Hold.

[edit]
Its definitely not working. I am in front of a general store sign and edited "333_13-0.PNG", but it has no effect ingame. I extracted the textures with DFI2(which I managed to get to run on Linux with wine) and wrote a short script to rename and move them into one folder for convenience. So my edited file is now in :

Unity/DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Textures/333_13-0.PNG

Support for graphical mods is on. Am I missing something? I edit the textures with gimp. Are there any PNG setting constrictions which might cause trouble ?

[update]

I tried the the windows version of daggerfall-unity through wine ... same result. I downloaded the new vengeance version.

Correction: It works. I can edit even the start screen. Seems to be a Linux version issue.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I asked you which version you're using because i realised my build on linux was older than i remembered, on newer builds its seems to work fines on this platform too.

More concretely on your issue, are you aware the extension is supposed to be lower case? I tought you were because you said you read the documentation and even tried differents variations of lowerUpper, but on you last post you wrote 333_13-0.PNG while 333_13-0.png is the correct one. I'm sorry you're having so much troubles, please check this is not the issue. If it fails to work silently (without writing anything in the log) and the original image is still in place without troubles, all the bets are that it doesn't find the file in the folder at all.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox »

TheLacus wrote:I asked you which version you're using because i realised my build on linux was older than i remembered, on newer builds its seems to work fines on this platform too.

More concretely on your issue, are you aware the extension is supposed to be lower case? I tought you were because you said you read the documentation and even tried differents variations of lowerUpper, but on you last post you wrote 333_13-0.PNG while 333_13-0.png is the correct one. I'm sorry you're having so much troubles, please check this is not the issue. If it fails to work silently (without writing anything in the log) and the original image is still in place without troubles, all the bets are that it doesn't find the file in the folder at all.
It works, I must have missed that with all the trying and variations I did. Both the start screen and ingame textures are loaded now. Thank you.

quasifex

Re: Models and Flats

Post by quasifex »

TheLacus wrote:[*] Go to daggerfall-unity-master\Assets\Resources\Models and create a subfolder. Rename it with the ID of the model, then create another folder inside this one and place the .xfb file inside.
Is there a mistake? I think instead of .xfb there must be .fbx because this is the extension that Unity uses for imported models. I was searching right now to find out what is this .xfb and how to export my model to it. This is confusing :?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Yes fbx, it's written correctly the other times is nominated in the guide.

Anyway, follow the documentation on the website, the guide on the forum may be outdated on some points.

quasifex

Post by quasifex »

Alright, i had some kind of success i guess.
I tried to replace the mages guild in daggerfall city. Just created a placeholder model to check out how this process works.
After completing everything described in guide, my model appears in editor. But it didn't actually replaced the vanilla buiding. Also it was located way off in the sky so i had to move it closer in the scene. I suppose something wrong with my origin point. Here is how it looks now:
Spoiler!
I also tried to replace grass flats in RealGrass mod. But it seems the same thing happens. Instead of replacing all flats, a single mesh is placed somewhere in the sky.

Maybe i missed something. Would like to know how AlexanderSig managed to get his models in game.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

quasifex wrote:Alright, i had some kind of success i guess.
I tried to replace the mages guild in daggerfall city. Just created a placeholder model to check out how this process works.
After completing everything described in guide, my model appears in editor. But it didn't actually replaced the vanilla buiding. Also it was located way off in the sky so i had to move it closer in the scene. I suppose something wrong with my origin point.
Are you importing models from a mod or directly from asset resources? In the second case you need to compile as debug build.
Make a screen of what you see in the project view, upload your log etc. and i can see how to help you :)
Here is how it looks now:
Spoiler!
Link redirect to homepage.
I also tried to replace grass flats in RealGrass mod. But it seems the same thing happens. Instead of replacing all flats, a single mesh is placed somewhere in the sky.
Sorry, i don't understand what you mean here. Real grass is a completed mod ready for release, you just need to place it in StreamingAssets/Mods and enable it in game. What are you trying to do?

quasifex

Post by quasifex »

Are you importing models from a mod or directly from asset resources? In the second case you need to compile as debug build.
Make a screen of what you see in the project view, upload your log etc. and i can see how to help you :)
Yes, from asset resources. By compiling you mean that button in File>Build and Run? Yeah, i did that too. But when i'm leaving PH the whole screen becomes gray. You mean upload the editor log or from the console? Can i just attach it here?
Link redirect to homepage.
My bad, short term image hosting time has ran out. Reuploaded:
snapshot.jpg
snapshot.jpg (67.81 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
Sorry, i don't understand what you mean here. Real grass is a completed mod ready for release, you just need to place it in StreamingAssets/Mods and enable it in game. What are you trying to do?
You see, RealGrass mod uses sprites for displaying grass. I want to test how the game will look if i replace those sprites with 3d models of grass, plants, etc. In this topic (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17&start=60) i asked if it is possible. This guide also tells that it is possible to replace sprites, this is when i got this idea.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

quasifex wrote: Yes, from asset resources. By compiling you mean that button in File>Build and Run? Yeah, i did that too. But when i'm leaving PH the whole screen becomes gray. You mean upload the editor log or from the console? Can i just attach it here?
Run the game up to where the building is located, then upload somewhere (like pastebin) the game log. Otherwise just paste here the last part, if there is something useful it should be there.
My bad, short term image hosting time has ran out. Reuploaded:snapshot.jpg
Assign a position of (0,0,0) to the prefab; It it's not translated to the origin of scene view you need to fix it in your modelling software.

You see, RealGrass mod uses sprites for displaying grass. I want to test how the game will look if i replace those sprites with 3d models of grass, plants, etc. In this topic (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17&start=60) i asked if it is possible. This guide also tells that it is possible to replace sprites, this is when i got this idea.
Ok, got it, we were talking about two different things in that thread.
The guide says you can replace billboards of vanilla game with new textures or even with 3d models. This has nothing to do with Real Grass, which adds new vegetation to the terrain, it does not replace anything.

On topic, plants actually aren't flats, they are low poly meshes suitable for their role, which is an extensive random placement on the terrain, so they ought not to be too detailed. If you are following the updates in that thread you can see i've redesigned them recently to make them more 3d, so you may like them more now.

The grass can also be rendered with two different shader, billboard or mesh; you can choose it from settings.

Anyway, if you're interested in doing some modelling for vegetation, i would be happy to see some screenshots. In particular, i've started to do some test for adding new different flowers according to climate/region; if you want we may collaborate on this.
Alternatively you can just jump into recreating daggerfall flora and replace sprites with your models as explained in the guide.

oracus0

Post by oracus0 »

Hello!

I'm currently working on a mod for Skyrim to recreate Daggerfall's main quest, and am retexturing some of the Daggerfall models.

The roof texture in the picture is from Bethesda, but I also made the more traditional colored bricks. Would you be interested in any of these textures? I'm happy to share and contribute... I think you guys are doing a fantastic job!

Oracus0