Modding Tutorials: Asset-Injection

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
TheLacus

Re: [GUIDE] Mesh, Texture and Sound replacement

Post by TheLacus »

Climate variations

Daggerfall uses the same models in different regions applying different textures according to climate and season. When importing custom models we can replicate this behaviour with different prefabs.

The game first try to import the prefab using with the following nomenclature.

Code: Select all

ID_Desert
ID_MountainSummer
ID_MountainWinter
ID_SwampSummer
ID_SwampWinter
ID_TemperateSummer
ID_TemperateWinter
If it's not present, it loads the generic prefab.

Code: Select all

ID
Tipically a mod includes all climate variations or a single generic model but some liberty can be taken.
  • Example 1
    mod 1 wrote:1001
    1001_TemperateSummer
    1001_TemperateSummer is used in temperate regions during summer season, 1001 in all other situations.
  • Example 2
    mod 1 wrote:2001
    mod 2 wrote:2001
    The game use always, and only, 2001 from mod 2.
  • Example 3
    mod 1 wrote:123
    mod 2 wrote:123_TemperateSummer
    123_TemperateWinter
    Models from mod 2 are used in temperate regions, model from mod 1 is used in all other situations.

Luzur

Post by Luzur »

Oh, btw, anyoen having any plans on adding sound tot he human enemies? like some sort of yell or grunt or something? always found it odd that they are totally silent.
"Load the muskets"

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I think it's both functional and immersive. Tigers, bears, and spiders are too dumb to not announce their presence to their enemy, but humans are smarter than that. Some of my biggest surprises playing Daggerfall were that I would be trying to bash open a door or something, and suddenly I'm getting attacked by some sneaky Thief who got the jump on me :)

Luzur

Post by Luzur »

Jay_H wrote:I think it's both functional and immersive. Tigers, bears, and spiders are too dumb to not announce their presence to their enemy, but humans are smarter than that. Some of my biggest surprises playing Daggerfall were that I would be trying to bash open a door or something, and suddenly I'm getting attacked by some sneaky Thief who got the jump on me :)
Yeah, for surprise moments sure, but they dont even make a sound when hit or dying, that gotta require massive ninja silence discipline.
"Load the muskets"

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

The_Lacus
Would it be possible to allow custom heightmaps in DF Unity, I am specifically referring to this forum post. According to Nystul this would require a fair amount of work to implement as a mod, and is most likely beyond his skills. I was wondering if you were planning to implement the Illiac Bay's heightmap as a moddable part of the game at any point, and if there would be any chance at all that you could implement water maps. I do realize that the second part is almost certainly not going to happen, but the first part seems reasonable enough, at least to me (I don't have any programing knowledge). :)

Also, sorry if this is not the correct place to contact you.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Implementing a custom heightmap is possible, I did this already in my far terrain mod (procedurally improving original heightmap)

Not sure where you read that I can't do it. I think you misinterpreted one of my posts, I am not able to extend the far terrain too much than what is possible already.

Custom heightmap from heightmap data is of course also possible, but if not done correctly it won't work with far terrain and will break it. I know how to do it correctly, but will finish talk functionality first before spending time on custom height map.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

Nystul wrote:Implementing a custom heightmap is possible, I did this already in my far terrain mod (procedurally improving original heightmap)

Not sure where you read that I can't do it. I think you misinterpreted one of my posts, I am not able to extend the far terrain too much than what is possible already.

Custom heightmap from heightmap data is of course also possible, but if not done correctly it won't work with far terrain and will break it. I know how to do it correctly, but will finish talk functionality first before spending time on custom height map.
Did I misunderstand? Sorry. That's good though. :D

EpicSpellsword404

Post by EpicSpellsword404 »

Maybe it's just me but I thought human enemies make quiet footstep sounds in vanilla DF

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Some bugs kindly reported by King of Worms.

EDIT. see here.
Last edited by TheLacus on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:34 am, edited 9 times in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for transfer to a correct section and your time to react to it.

2x Small notice:

1) "SCBG08I0.IMG characters backgrounds are misaligned" - might be in a original game as well, true.

I Found workaround and that is by altering the INFO00I0.IMG file and deleting those pixels from there. Early working version is this for example, but it can be made more perfectly. https://files.fm/u/p2vaafff#_ in other screens like the inventory this problem is not so noticeable so I have not dealt with it yet.

2) Ad the "incorrect CIF behavior" - thanks for a link, made it work. But I need to report that the upscaled heads behave in a same manner as upscalled bodies = horizontal lines. On the other hand, upscaled bag works ok.
02.jpg
02.jpg (182.97 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
Thank you