Modding Tutorials: Asset-Injection

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
King of Worms

Re: Modding Tutorials: Asset-Injection

Post by King of Worms »

Do you still have issues with this image? The texture is actually CNFG00I1, which is drawn on top of CNFG00I0.
I have not noticed these are two separate files, as there is everything included in CNFG00I0 file :oops: I have now created the CNFG00I1 from a cut out part from CNFG00I0 and it works expected, problem solved ;) Thank you!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:09 am
Do you still have issues with this image? The texture is actually CNFG00I1, which is drawn on top of CNFG00I0.
I have not noticed these are two separate files, as there is everything included in CNFG00I0 file :oops: I have now created the CNFG00I1 from a cut out part from CNFG00I0 and it works expected, problem solved ;) Thank you!
The last binding is different: LOOK AROUND vs SNEAK ;)

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Additional textures on materials can be supported if there is a request. This is necessary because they have to be enabled in shader and a name tag must be defined for loose files.
Consider this a formal request to include heightmap and occlusion. :)

I've been experimenting with incorporating normal, metallic, heightmap, and occlusion textures into my AI upscaled textures and the results have looked very good so far.

A second request: Would it be possible to include options in the DFU launcher to ignore these special textures (if available), preferably separated into each texture type (normal/metallic/emission/heightmap/occlusion)? I was planning on eventually releasing the AI upscaled textures in two separate packs, one with and the other without n/h/m/e/o textures included, but if the player could selectively disable them, then I'd just release one all-inclusive texture pack. This is by no means critical since users could always just delete those n/m/e/h/o textures from their streaming folder to get the same effect, but I thought it would be a nice feature if possible. If this is a particularly challenging request or is outside the scope of your work, then please disregard.

Thanks!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

small note:
-normals
-roughness
-height
-ambient occlusion
-emission
----------------------
it all works on textures

I guess metallic works as well.
Cant confirm specular atm.

Avarage user has no clue what this all means, he will not know what happens when he turns roughness off etc.

So maybe if there was option to turn off ALL the advanced materials, it would make sense to the end-user and producer as well.
Less optional downloads, less mods, less mod building...

Until than - I will be releasing 2 versions. One with advanced materials and one without them.

Just my 2 cents ofc ;)

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

small note:
-normals
-roughness
-height
-ambient occlusion
-emission
----------------------
it all works on textures

I guess metallic works as well.
Cant confirm specular atm.
I could be wrong, but I think "roughness" and "specular" are rolled into the Metallic property.

Also, only normal, metallic, and emission are working for me. Then again, I'm using an older build (from maybe November-ish - I'll check when I get home) so maybe that's the reason? I hadn't read anywhere that height and AO maps had been added yet.
Avarage user has no clue what this all means, he will not know what happens when he turns roughness off etc.

So maybe if there was option to turn off ALL the advanced materials, it would make sense to the end-user and producer as well.
I'd be okay with that. The reason most people would disable them is probably for performance and/or to maintain vanilla ambiance. In both cases, most people would probably consider it an all-or-nothing scenario anyway.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

To use roughness maps, you need to change the shader of the material to "standard (roughness setup)" and than the roughness line will appear (same line as for normals etc) there you load the roughness map and it works in the inspector and the game as well.
r.jpg
r.jpg (116.97 KiB) Viewed 4502 times
Specular, Im not that sure, I saw one material using this by Quasifex, but Im not certain its working in game
spec.jpg
spec.jpg (117.59 KiB) Viewed 4502 times
I use height maps a lot and few ambient oclusion maps and both work.
Thing is, it depends on the program you use to generate them. I used "Materialize" and those worked really bad.
Than I switched to "Substance B2M" and it generates the best maps plus they all work..

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Ah, I see the difference. I'm running Unity 2019 which has "Standard" shader and "Standard (Specular setup)" shader instead. I think the new "Standard" shader is similar to the "Standard (Roughness setup)" shader, but it uses metallic and smoothness rolled into one texture where the red channel is metallic and the alpha channel is the smoothness (inverse of roughness).

I've updated to the latest build of DFU, but the heightmaps still aren't loading in. I've named the heightmap textures the same as the texture name, but with the _Height suffix at the end.

Would I have to set them all up as new materials in DFTU, then export it as a mod to inherit all the .meta data? I haven't even tried tinkering with DFTU yet... I haven't had to. I may see if it will install properly in Unity 2019 and tinker around with it some.

I was hoping TheLacus could set Height and Occlusion textures up so that they operate as loose files in /StreamingAssets/Textures like the normal and metallic textures function now.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im not sure height maps work in a loose files scenario, Ive never tryed it. I already used materials when I strated to mess with height maps.
Think is, height maps need to have a strength set up. Its a number between 0 - 0.8 I guess. If you use loosefiles, you would need to add xml files which specify this (I GUESS). This is a question for Lacus, he knows everything about this.

Id suggest getting the Unity 2018.2.20f1 and settting up the materials. I can help you with that.

Its too many variables now - to find out why height dont work for you:
- the maps are wrong (had the same problem until I switched to B2M)
- you need xml files to specify the amount
- they might be not working as a loose files
- they might need to be applyed to materials and exported as DFMOD
- and God knows what else :)

Actually, heres a video made by Quasifex where he demonstrates the creation of materials. It should set you on track easily and fast:
https://mega.nz/#!jrY2xSjZ!d4-8CYueKtI0 ... tWzarOzkEY

I suggest using current supported version of Unity tho... The one I mentioned works and is quite recent...

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

MasonFace wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:44 pm Consider this a formal request to include heightmap and occlusion. :)

I've been experimenting with incorporating normal, metallic, heightmap, and occlusion textures into my AI upscaled textures and the results have looked very good so far.
Standard shader currently allows Albedo, Normal, Emission and MetallicGloss; other textures are not used in build so are also not available for mods due to Unity optimizations. If Interkarma has no objections i will force support for HeightMap and OcclusionMap and investigate import from loose files.
MasonFace wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:44 pm A second request: Would it be possible to include options in the DFU launcher to ignore these special textures (if available), preferably separated into each texture type (normal/metallic/emission/heightmap/occlusion)? I was planning on eventually releasing the AI upscaled textures in two separate packs, one with and the other without n/h/m/e/o textures included, but if the player could selectively disable them, then I'd just release one all-inclusive texture pack. This is by no means critical since users could always just delete those n/m/e/h/o textures from their streaming folder to get the same effect, but I thought it would be a nice feature if possible. If this is a particularly challenging request or is outside the scope of your work, then please disregard.

Thanks!
Not sure about this one. If you work with loose files i believe it should be enough to provide two folders, one with albedo and the other with all other textures. Then the user can merge as preferred. And if you make a dfmod i think it's better to make two builds rather than increase mod size and possibly loading time when a big portion of the mod is unused. ;)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Just a note, but Im 100% sure height maps work. Maybe not as intended, but they do and look good.
Also, 100% certain Ambient occlusion works as well. Actually I had to tone them down on a bright yellow city walls in Sentinel.

Not sure what is going on here :)
Spoiler!
Height.jpg
Height.jpg (241.34 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
EDIT: And btw, what is that effect? Is that a bug? Looks like a water...
Things like this - in moderation - could enhance the dungeon dwelling :) Occasional debris from the ceilings etc.