Mixup of Mountain & Steppe Biomes

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
l3lessed

Re: Mixup of Mountain & Steppe Biomes

Post by l3lessed »

Nice fix. Makes more sense from a logic perspective to do it that way.

I can't wait to see where that goes.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Daniel87

Re: Mixup of Mountain & Steppe Biomes

Post by Daniel87 »

I would love to also write a fix for the tiling texturing for the two border MapPixels (the last one of the first biome and the first one of the next biome) but have my hands full with the Believable Wilderness mod at the moment. Maybe once that one hits Version 1.0, I will dedicate to this fix and implement it into my mod or offer it as a separate mod, whatever the community prefers, as currently it is a thorn in my eye to have this killing the immersion I am trying to build :D

If anyone got good resources to learn how to add second materials/textures to a tile mesh and alpha blend it, feel free to post it here for me to check out later on.

I am thinking about tackling it like this:

1. Get world position of the neighbouring MapPixels with different biome (9-neighbour-method)

2. Blend the ground textures of the neighbouring biome into the own texture with increasing x or y. In diagonal cases, maybe using the worldPosition distance of the MapPixel center as reference and taking the Vector3.Distance() to measure how close the tile to be textured is to the center of the own and the neighbouring MapPixel. Both MapPixels would have to meet in the middle, alphablending wise, to create a smooth transition. When the same tile gets affected by the next neighbour, the alphas could just be cumulated. I think the highest amount of different biomes touching is 3.

Something along those lines. It will be a ton of trial and error but that's how it always goes.
In Julianos we Trust.