Discussion on future 3D modelling

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Biboran

Re: Discussion on future 3D modelling

Post by Biboran »

Problem with low poly graphics that usually that requared a lot texture work - you need really professional artist to make textures that need to represent what polygon's don't
sad, but daggerfal sprites mostly to small scale to become good textures.

But replacing 3d models, if you want do what I think you want (because I want it too actually :D ) require more than replacing some flats - whole daggerfall gaemplay, all daggerfall mechanics was created do fit in that limitations bethesda work with in that times. That why we had so mane wierd stuff, different types of NPCs and objects with totaly different characteristics. Daggerfall world and in lore parts, and in technical parts need a lot attention and disscution before actual model creating part, I think.

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Man, found this resource on Nexus and I think that it's the style we can go to!
It seems possible to do, very stylish in 3D, yet retains the aesthetics of Daggerfall (not 100%, of course).
Spoiler!
ImageImageImageImageImage
What do you guys think? Is this close enough to vanilla or too much? Because I think that this style and this quality is something we can achieve.

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods ... D100&pUp=1

P.S. As for creating textures - easiest way I found is photo manipulations. You take a stock picture, apply oil painting filter to it, reduce the size to low res and it looks rather good. Not as good as hand drawn textures, but I think it will do until we get more talented artists involved.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Yeah, it very old. It used original sprites for insperation, but it actually more fits in morrowind than daggerfall.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

NikitaTheTanner wrote:Lacus, can you help with it? If yes, what file format is the best?
Read here and feel free to ask if there is something unclear :)
Also, you can download this mod if you want to see how it works in practice.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

NikitaTheTanner wrote:Man, found this resource on Nexus and I think that it's the style we can go to!
It seems possible to do, very stylish in 3D, yet retains the aesthetics of Daggerfall (not 100%, of course).
Those look pretty much how I would want replacement models to look in Daggerfall.

NikitaTheTanner

Those look pretty much how I would want replacement models to look in Daggerfall.
I think I agree. These might be a little more dark and gritty than original game and perhaps a little too high detailed at places, but overall pretty solid match. Need to try something like that out and see how it fits.

And thanks for the guide, Lacus! I knew I saw it somewhere on the forum, but didn't find it myself. Will try to import some things soon.

P.S. Duh, it's just the next topic on the same forum... Nevermind, I was blind! :lol:

Arctus

Post by Arctus »

I was thinking about something earlier- I was always a big fan of Battlespire, and it used some degree of 3D models. How similar were the engines? Could some of those models be pulled out and used? They're pretty similar to the DF style.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

I thought of a suggestion for this thread last night.
Basically people are immediately drawn to the big-ticket items, like Beastiary.
But that's a pretty big project compared to starting with something smaller and more do-able.

My suggestion is to start with the actual quest items - the things you find on dungeon floors, on tables and pedestals etc.
Pieces of paper, gold ring, Trolls Blood, Auriel's Shield, Wayrest painting, the Totem etc.
There's a finite number of those and the sprites could be replaced with a 3d mesh quite easily i imagine.

That could be released as a standalone mod and it would create a visual logic that works with player perception.
When in a dungeon or a go-fetch-me quest : the 3d object is the quest item.

Now I believe there are one or 2 logic-breaking 3d models in the vanilla game, like a gold cup with wine in it for example.
Ironically those might have to get replaced with a 2d sprite in the mod to preserve the logic.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

NikitaTheTanner

Yes, small things should definitely come first, just because they are easier to do. But I am not sure if I follow the logic with the quest objects. I do like the idea of them being distinguishable from the rest of similar of objects, but making only quest objects 3D seems a little strange.

I think that once the process is a little more streamlined with time, it would be easy just to create a forum with a bunch of separate topics for different objects, where people can claim something they think, they can handle. Maybe have moderators who would choose people who are allowed to do certain objects based on their shown skill, like difficulty levels - from Beginner to Advanced.

Otherwise, if there are several people involved, it's easy to do work that somebody else already does. And if no difficulty level is set, many will most likely want to do "cool stuff", but then not be able to finish it. But for talented and passionate artists, the road should be open to do great things.

And yeah, things like bestiary would probably be last on the list of remade assets, there are so many challenges there.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It would make sense for all objects to be 3D; quest objects could have a slight glow or a beacon under them to distinguish them (a big pitfall for new players is not realizing that one blood stain is the Werewolf Blood the guild sent them to find).