Discussion on future 3D modelling

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
rhymer

Re: Discussion on future 3D modelling

Post by rhymer »

What puzzles me that very often people think that "Daggerfall style" - means "Low-poly angled models and pixelated textures". I'm sure that the main characteristic of Daggerfall visual style is a sense of an old Disney cartoon. So, I suppose the best way of implementing 3d models replacers is to keep a cartoonish style instead of trying to mimic the polycount of 20 years-old games. Hope we'll be able to workout a common approach toward this point.

LorrMaster42

Post by LorrMaster42 »

I don't think of the artstyle as cartoonish at all. The dungeons themselves give off a great feeling of something "dark and sinister" going on inside of them, making me imagine the world as being more realistic despite the low poly count.

rhymer

Post by rhymer »

Oh, Disney cartoons can be extremely dark and sinister - just remember the Black Cauldron!

This is a perfect example of Daggerfall style. Models should not be low-poly - it makes only impression of limited resources. They should resemble hand-painted pictures.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

I was for low poly models because they will fit more good in current game without total remakes of all. HD models will not fit good in vanilla in my opinion

rhymer

Post by rhymer »

I think, vanilla style (and not vanilla quality) models would fit perfectly. Look at the retextures in nearby threads. They fit perfectly though they are a lot bigger and not limited by 16-colours pallete. The polycount is only a limitation of an old engine. The original sprites are mostly rendered from high-poly (for those times) models. We should keep the style of that models, I think.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

rhymer wrote:I think, vanilla style (and not vanilla quality) models would fit perfectly. Look at the retextures in nearby threads. They fit perfectly though they are a lot bigger and not limited by 16-colours pallete. The polycount is only a limitation of an old engine. The original sprites are mostly rendered from high-poly (for those times) models. We should keep the style of that models, I think.
To make this stuff you need really remade game. Original game is way to different from modern take of some stuff and really, really unfinished. I don't think that HD models fit great in current game. If you need to modernise graphics and style in that way, it requre much more attention in gaemplay, world, style, or it will look like very bad unfinished indie game.
Low poly just make it look not unfinished 1996 game, but unfinished 1998 game so there be much less problems and pain :Р

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

There is no reason for limiting graphical mods to a certain type/style. Ideally whoever likes low-poly stuff should work on his own ideas while people who aim for higher poly count models should go for it.
The nice thing is we can allow both and let the user decide which mods he/she wants to use then ;)

Arl

Post by Arl »

It all depends on how low and how high the polycount end up being, maybe rhymer can show some example of his ideal polycount for, let's say, a NPC.

I personally will not pursue the idea of low-poly assets like Thief.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

rhymer

Post by rhymer »

This model of the Vampire has 7412 polygons. I hope it fits visual style of the original game. I think it is a little bit closer to the original than Thief style models.

Arctus

Post by Arctus »

Damn, that's pretty badass