Is it possible to scan the Daggerfall's height map data to produce an 2D terrain representation of the entire world?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Thomas_Eric

Is it possible to scan the Daggerfall's height map data to produce an 2D terrain representation of the entire world?

Post by Thomas_Eric »

Hello Folks,

If you don't know, I'm making this mod called Better Travel Map which I intend to make a glorious 10K resolution travel map available with a revamped UI for each province and the entire Illiac Bay.

Until now, I've been working on one of the versions I intend to make available "Thomas' Pick" (Working Title), which is like a HD approach but following the original maps, but I wish I could also draw a more accurate terrain map to make available, so I wonder if it's possible to process the game's heigh map data to make into a 2D image. Of course that, if you take your time into this processing this image, I'm going to cite you as a collaborator on the mod.

Anyway I hope you all have a great day,

Thomas Eric

PS: I hope you guys understand my title and I didn't get the terminology horribly wrong
I am alive and back!

Thomas_Eric

Re: Is it possible to scan the Daggerfall's height map data to produce an 2D terrain representation of the entire world?

Post by Thomas_Eric »

That's what the game features already. Is this accurate to the actual terrain?
I am alive and back!

Biboran

Re: Is it possible to scan the Daggerfall's height map data to produce an 2D terrain representation of the entire world?

Post by Biboran »

I think this is same or close to high map used in distan terrain

Thomas_Eric

Post by Thomas_Eric »

Does anyone have any idea if this is accurate or not?
I am alive and back!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hi Thomas, that looks like the same 1000x500 heightmap from WOODS.WLD I use for course elevation information. I need to add a lot of interpolation and noise (because each of those pixels is over 800sqm in game), but for your purposes of map elevation I can confirm this is the real thing. :)

Thomas_Eric

Post by Thomas_Eric »

Interkarma wrote:Hi Thomas, that looks like the same 1000x500 heightmap from WOODS.WLD I use for course elevation information. I need to add a lot of interpolation and noise (because each of those pixels is over 800sqm in game), but for your purposes of map elevation I can confirm this is the real thing. :)
Thanks!
I am alive and back!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Biboran wrote:I think this is same or close to high map used in distan terrain
yeah it is close to, but distant terrain also does some extra processing if improved terrain option is checked in the mod's options - it uses a distance transform based amplifying (distance from water) to produce more interesting terrain.

So the most accurate thing would be to sample the height data from the terrainsampler class ;)
this will be 100% accurate and would always match the height map in use (if a mod uses a custom height map)