Replace sprites with 3D objects

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
GabiAlex

Replace sprites with 3D objects

Post by GabiAlex »

Hello! Recently I started looking into this project as Daggerfall is one of my favorite games. I have some experience with 3D modeling in Blender and I wonder if you can replace sprites with actual 3D models, low poly to keep the requirements at minimum. I already have some vegetation and objects that may fit into the game created during a previous project of mine and I'm willing to share them if there is any possibility to be added as mods. For now I want to replace the vegetation and the rocks, but in the future if the time is on my side I'll work on the 3D versions of NPCs, of course, if it's possible.

TheLacus

Re: Replace sprites with 3D objects

Post by TheLacus »

Welcome to the forums!

It is possible but with a limitation for exteriors: you can replace only trees in range of a town or, more in general, a "fixed location". Replacing trees on the streaming world (the open world) is a feature which is yet to be implemented. There are no know issues for buildings and dungeons flats.

I refer you to this guide for details.

GabiAlex

Re: Replace sprites with 3D objects

Post by GabiAlex »

Thank you for your reply. I'll have a look into it and I'll use some low poly models from another project of mine. I don't have much free time, but when I get some I'll create some models to replace the sprites. When the project moves forward, maybe they can be used to cover a larger area. I'll try to keep them poly, but aesthetic so the game won't have any performance issues on low end PCs.