3D weapon models possible?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
ironmaskofhell

3D weapon models possible?

Post by ironmaskofhell »

Is it possible to replace the 2D weapons with 3D models? I would like to try to make a mod for the first time in my life and I wanted to make a weapons mod for Dagger fall unity that make the weapons more unique and different looking like the latter TES games.

TheLacus

Re: 3D weapon models possible?

Post by TheLacus »

No is not possible at this time, or better, nobody wrote the code for it yet.

Doing this with first person weapons requires someone to write code to dynamically switch between classic system and alternative system which convert action to specific animation for 3d models, benefiting of mod import. Enemies weapons are a bigger challenge because they're part of body sprite like armor.

Unless you're interested in programming, i suggest to put your efforts in the other sprites you can found around the world of Daggerfall, many of which inside dungeons, replacing them with 3d models, maybe adding candle/torch light and smoke, cups with real liquid and the list go on :)

Arctus

Post by Arctus »

How did it work in Battlespire though? If I recall correctly, the weapon models were 3D but it was still sprite based enemies.

ironmaskofhell

Post by ironmaskofhell »

Dang. Oh well I will just wait until it's possible and until there's code for it, since I don't know anything about writing code. AlexanderSig seems to have every almost every model in the game in 3D anyway and is close to being done, so I don't see the point in doing that.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

That's fine, but i remember AlexanderSig said he was only interested in models and not sprites ;)

ironmaskofhell

Post by ironmaskofhell »

I will think about it. But if I decided to learn and write code, would I need to use Daggerfall Tools for Unity to write the code for 3D weapons or am I supposed to use something else? Not saying I will write the code for models; just saying that I might.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I was mainly suggesting to work on some other sprites; If you want to learn programming from scratch there are easier way to start, but if you're interested is not a bad idea to start reading some tutorials for DFTU as well as Unity.

ironmaskofhell

Post by ironmaskofhell »

I decided to work on some other sprites. Taking on a task that difficult when I'm just a noob with not much experience was a dumb idea on my part. I will start working when i have the free time. Can you suggest easy sprites that can be work on?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

There are a lot of small props in archive 204, 205, 218, 253 and 254 (and some others near them). Also 213 if you want to try some plants, 210 lights.

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Hardest part I discovered while working on some models on my own, is not modelling itself, this can be rather simple when working with low poly. Much harder is the process of UV mapping and texturing, you really need to focus on studying and understanding these practices if you want to achieve good results.

Also, try to experiment with Unity engine and insert your work in some of your own basic projects, just to test out how your models look rendered in engine, since there are also settings that you'll need to configure.

Overall, if you are serious about it and have time to study, it is very much possible, but it will take more time and energy than you probably think right now. For many people it is an actual well-paid job, good 3D artists are very valuable, but that is because their work is really challenging. Doesn't mean that you'll need to reach a professional level to help the project, but be ready to be challenged in many ways, that you'll need to learn a lot and often struggle to make something even simple work.

So don't be afraid to ask questions, or showcase your work, or whatever else you might need. Here and in the modding community in general, everyone is understanding that we do these things out of passion and that it can be very hard to learn a new trade just as a hobby, so we try to support each other as much as possible.