Discussion on weapons

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
ironmaskofhell

Discussion on weapons

Post by ironmaskofhell »

Since all weapons in daggerfall are copied and pasted assets with a different color tint ( take the dagger for example.

Iron
Steel
Silver
Elven
Dwarven
Mithril
Adamantium
Ebony
Orcish
Daedric

You can see that they are all the same models with different colors to make them seem different, and bethesda did this with all the weapons).

I would like to make a topic and discussion on what should the weapons in daggerfall should be remodeled to look like, how they can be implemented, and how they compare to later tes games. Like I said on VMblast's topic, In my opinion, I think weapons in daggerfall should look realistic, well at least the iron, steel, and silver weapons should look realistic. Other weapon like Elven, Dwarven, orchish, and daedric can look more fantasy like, however they should not look over the top like a MMO/anime. They should have a balance of realism and look usable. I am not saying that they need to look 100% realistic unlike iron, steel, and silver weapons, just that there needs to be some balance of realism to keep weapons from being too crazy looking, I'm not against creativity in a fantasy setting. But what do you guys think?

NikitaTheTanner

Re: Discussion on weapons

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Hehe, I like what you did with the topics! ;)

Thank you. Now we can discuss particular designs as well. Images are welcome, as some weapons are really hard to find online. Historic references, photos, art, concepts - all could be useful. If someone were to draw or even model certain weapons, that would be extra cool!

I can try modelling some things myself, but I suck at texturing and UV mapping, so I'll do it only if we really have no one to do it better.

ironmaskofhell

Post by ironmaskofhell »

Thinks! :D Making the topics separate was a better idea. VMblast seems to be decent at modeling and great at textureing and AlexanderSig is good with making models, maybe they can help if they want to, but if they decide to pass then I guess I can also help model the weapons but It would be my first time modeling something so don't expect my models to look great. ;)

NikitaTheTanner

I am sure they'll help if they have the time, but there is a lot of work. We should get more people on board with time, preferrably with experience or at least really passionate with some knowledge of how to do it. There is enough work for a full-scale game, maybe more than in some games even, given the scope of the world and amount of materials.

I honestly do not know if we can do it, but I believe in Daggerfall, I think the game might become really popular one day because it provides Role-Playing experience like no other game, you really can almost live in this world(though please everyone, don't forget about IRL, it's also important, lol). Thus, I believe that given enough work and exposure over time, more and more people will join our cause! I am fairly sure of it.

ironmaskofhell

Post by ironmaskofhell »

I honestly do not know if we can do it, but I believe in Daggerfall, I think the game might become really popular one day because it provides Role-Playing experience like no other game, you really can almost live in this world(though please everyone, don't forget about IRL, it's also important, lol). Thus, I believe that given enough work and exposure over time, more and more people will join our cause! I am fairly sure of it.
That's really a dreamy thought, I really hope this come's true oneday, Daggerfall deserves more attention then it has. I would love to see what a modern daggerfall would look like and I think this project is worth a try.

NikitaTheTanner

That's really a dreamy thought, I really hope this come's true oneday, Daggerfall deserves more attention then it has. I would love to see what a modern daggerfall would look like and I think this project is worth a try.
I just think it has all the components for success, plus it is distributed for free :) Just needs more polish and upgrades, and it would certainly find an audience.

Regarding weapons. My first thoughts will be about bows and their strange design in original game. You had Long Bow and Short Bow, both of which could be made of every material in the game. That didn't make any sense, as the only thing materials changed was the string. Arrows on the other hand were all of one type - Arrow. Makes no sense to me...

I propose to get rid of different material bows for the time being, as it would be really time consuming to make metallic bows, plus it wouldn't make much sense. Instead, we should have arrows of every material! That makes much more sense and arrows shouldn't be too hard to model. We can always add some unique bows later.

I propose to keep at least three bows:

Short Bow - light and quick, it doesn't shoot too far and arrows do not fly as fast, but it is perfect for close quarters and sneak attacks. Damage best scales with Agility. Utilized by bandits, hunters and adventurers alike.

Long Bow - heavy and slow, it shoots really far and arrows fly extremely fast, good for sniping from afar and deals massive damage in one shot. Damage best scales with Strength. Favorite weapon of Western High Rock, especially in Daggerfall.

Recursive Bow - medium speed bow, offers a compromise of speed and damage. Not as quick as Short Bow, neither as deadly as Long Bow, but more versatile than both of them. Damage equally scales with Agility and Strength. Weapon from Hammerfell, used by many Redguard warriors.

------

Bonus, if we find a way to implement it:

Crossbow - very slow mechanical bow, deals massive damage. Doesn't scale at all, damage is always quite high, though not as high as Long Bow with high Strength. Very slow. Weapon of Eastern High Rock, used in Wayrest army and in neighbouring regions.

Text about regions where it is used is mostly for flavor, plus to establish some lore behind items. I think it would be good if we added Item Descriptions to every piece later on. What do you guys think?

ironmaskofhell

Post by ironmaskofhell »

I propose to get rid of different material bows for the time being, as it would be really time consuming to make metallic bows, plus it wouldn't make much sense. Instead, we should have arrows of every material! That makes much more sense and arrows shouldn't be too hard to model. We can always add some unique bows later.
That's a great idea, making 3 bows with each it's strength and weakness sounds more interesting then making 10 bows that's stronger then the last.

NikitaTheTanner

That's a great idea, making 3 bows with each it's strength and weakness sounds more interesting then making 10 bows that's stronger then the last.
Yeah, I also think so. When it comes to other weapons though, this logic doesn't apply, since we have many materials, but we can try to think of some unique properties for them as well. For example, Silver Weapons can have extra damage against undead and werewolves, but that's an obvious one :) Mithril Weapons could be best against Daedra, Adamantium can be extremely durable, Elven can have higher enchantment potential, etc. We have a lot of time to consider which material can provide what bonus and why.

In case of bows, I just don't see metallic bows being practical + we can reduce amount of work for artists, without sacrificing game mechanics, as there will be many arrows of different materials instead. It's also should be possible to add rare bows and crossbows later, for example, Dwarven Crossbow, which would be more mechanical. Once the basic ones are implemented. I just think that every item should make sense and have its place in game's universe.

NikitaTheTanner

Last post for today. Found a very cool concept art for one of the mods for Skyrim, I think it's for Beyond Skyrim and they probably even have it modelled and textured since they released Beyond Skyrim: Bruma not long ago.

It's Iron Weapons and I really like the feel of the set. It's really shoddy and rough, but also kinda classic medieval weapons. Rather nice in my opinion. The only thing I dislike here is the hilt of the sword on the left, otherwise a pretty good concept art.

ironmaskofhell

Post by ironmaskofhell »

I love the concept art however I hate how in every fantasy game the iron weapons are always design to look shoddy and rough to make other weapons look better. I think our iron weapons should look like there in good condition. I also like your gameplay ideas a lot but I think we should keep gameplay changes different from weapon models. Like separate mods that are compatible with each other for people who like one but not the other.