Real Time Stamina

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
NikitaTheTanner

Real Time Stamina

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

An important mechanic which I am planning on implementing myself at some point, unless somebody gets ahead.

Real Time Stamina - very important for action RPGs. As far as I understand, Daggerfall only has long-term Fatigue, which is more like your overall sleepiness and tiredness, but no short term energy mechanic. I think it would benefit the game a whole lot.

I don't want Stamina to fully replace Fatigue though. Stamina will use green bar near Health and Magicka, but Fatigue will still be present in the game and will still affect player the same way, perhaps it will just be displayed in a more subtle way. But I still think Fatigue is a good mechanic, so it should definitely stay.

Stamina on the other hand will not only regenerate when you sleep, but also when you stand still or walk. It will decrease when you run, attack, jump or climb walls. If you run out of Stamina, you can't perform actions succesfully - attack, jump or even climb. It might also affect other actions, like Lockpicking, though I am not sure to which extent. There will probably be a config for players to select options they like the most. I am not a fan of dice rolling in games with free saves, but some people like this mechanic.

In the future, I also want blocking to reduce Stamina regeneration and blocked hits to consume your Stamina, similar to Souls games.

I believe that Stamina will make game more dynamic and it shouldn't be too hard to implement, even with my basic knowledge of C#, though I might need some help from more experienced guys on the forum. Would love to hear suggestions too! This mod won't be for everyone though, I understand.

LorrMaster42

Re: Real Time Stamina

Post by LorrMaster42 »

I'd like to see stamina as a short-term buffer to fatigue. Once you stamina bar runs out the game starts draining you fatigue meter. Lots of games only have a short-term stamina bar that just constantly regenerates which gives a limit to the number of action you can do at once, but doesn't have any long-term effects. Going beyond your limits should be allowed in my opinion.

NikitaTheTanner

I am actually thinking that Stamina and Fatigue should be connected, but not in a such direct way. Both of them indicate your physical energy, but one is more overall energy you have and another your current energy. So, for example, when you wake up in the morning and go for a jog in real life, you would be really tired and out of breath after a few kilometers of running. But you won't be sleepy yet, as you just woke up. On the other hand, if you keep running and doing a lot of physical activities throughout the day, you'll want to go to bed earlier because you'll be exhausted.

In a similar fashion, actions will drain both Stamina and Fatigue, but Stamina will keep recovering and you'll have plenty of energy for short bursts of activity, yet once your Fatigue runs out completely, you'll fall to the ground from exhaustion. This will give you a better overall experience, I think.

As for formulas, I don't want anything too complex. Stamina will equal your Strength + Agility + Endurance + Willpower, like in Oblivion. Regeneration rate - not sure about yet, perhaps it will be set to constant rate or percent of total.

About running taking Stamina - that's also questionable, as no one likes to walk slowly all the time for some arbitrary meter to fill up. Perhaps, sprinting button is necessary. So, standing and walking will give you full Stamina recovery, jogging will reduce recovery a little bit and sprinting will consume Stamina instead, though jogging speed will need to be altered so it wouldn't be too fast at high Speed.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Maybe have Fatigue level affect Stamina regeneration? A simple % would be easiest; Divide Current Fatigue / Max Fatigue, and that's your % multiplier for Stamina regeneration.

So at 30% Fatigue left, you'd regenerate Stamina at 30% the rate; at 0% Fatigue left, you wouldn't regenerate Stamina at all, and would do that "fall unconscious from exhaustion" thing.

Could also have it so Fatigue higher than 100% had an effect; for example, if you boosted your current Fatigue to, say, 120% of your max, you'd regenerate Stamina at 120% the rate.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

NikitaTheTanner

Yeah, good idea! It's definitely something to consider, perhaps not to that extreme, dropping to 0% is just too much, but level of Fatigue can have some effect on Stamina regeneration. But no more than 50% drop, otherwise it would be too much I feel, and 50% drop is significant enough to show that the character is getting tired.

I don't plan to tie Stamina and Fatigue together in a very straight way though, as I think it would restrict Stamina too much. Stamina won't be only useful for sprinting and climbing, I want it to really affect the gameplay and especially fights, though preferably not by dice rolls. It can make fighting really dynamic where every move you make has a price.

And if it would play such a crucial role, it doesn't need to be too restricted by other stat as it would lead to more frustration than gain realism or fun. Similar reason I feel you can't use Fatigue when you run out of Stamina, it would trivialize the usefulness of the stat when you can use Fatigue instead.

But yeah, several factors will affect regeneration rate, I feel, and Fatigue can be one of these things. Another one would probably be equipment weight, so heavier weapons/armor would reduce Stamina regeneration, but provide higher DPS/Armor. It's a good balance and an incentive to use lighter armor/weapons even if they might not be as useful in terms of damage or protection.

---
Additionally, I feel that supernatural beings will handle Stamina differently. Werewolves/wereboars will definitely get a buff to Stamina regeneration, both as a human and as a beast, though significantly higher in the beast form. Vampires might get an altogether almost unlimited Stamina since they are undead and can't get tired I feel. This would give some great power to vampires though and would need to be balanced by other things, but it would be pretty cool in my opinion.

pekkape

Post by pekkape »

So any more plans of implementing this?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I plan on going after this after first release of ambidexterity mod. I wanted to roll modern stamina system in with df fatigue working as a long term survival stat.

My idea, fatigue affects both the max amount of short term stamina that can be regened and how fast. The lower your fatigue the slower the short term stamina will regenerate to mimic real life stamina training. The more you train your stamina, the longer you can stay up and recover.

Think skyrim stamina with df fatigue as a long term stamina bank.

Need to get the release version of ambidexterity features done and patch it first. Then I can add this and one other request to the features post release list
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Syl

Post by Syl »

Bringin back the topic as i also find stamina's lackin a lil somethin, like just a regen from still/walkin would add much to gameplay and imersion i think.

Cheers!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Maybe I can create a small mod to do just this, and then roll it into my bigger mod later. Either way, I will be getting to ambidexterity mod now I'm back to working on them, so this will be on the list.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Syl

Post by Syl »

Cool, catchin our breath would add a lot more, specially with climates and calories mod. Cheers! :)