High Fidelity/Eroded Terrain

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
username

Re: High Fidelity/Eroded Terrain

Post by username »

So are these all the ones you have done so far? I would be particularly interested in Sentinel and Tigonus (I really want to see the mountain).

Oh and ps I would easily use a 20 or even 40 gigabyte version of this mod (if it becomes one) although I think 1 gigabyte version is probably more reasonable for most people.
Check out my patch to remove nudity, it's a WIP but it's coming along quite nicely.

username

Post by username »

@Nystul

How well do you think this would this work with your distant terrain mod?
Check out my patch to remove nudity, it's a WIP but it's coming along quite nicely.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

if i can get the heightmap I can make a terrain sampler that will work with it I think

But it will just take over the heights not the texture of course

Btw, the tigonus mountain is just am unintended oversight by the devs I think. Will always look bad I fear. I would just remove it tbh

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Freak2121 wrote:
Nystul wrote:One future improvement would be to define the 128x128 detail samples per map pixel. But keep in mind storing it on disk will require 1000x500x128x128x2 for 16-bit height values - which is around 17 gb
That would be quite a ridiculous level of detail for a heightmap, and fairly unnecessary at that. That would be around 6m per pixel, and not even the likes of Outerra is that precise. A more sane resolution would be 50m/px or 25m/px, both would be leaps and bounds beyond the current resolution, and would only come to around 1/4GB and 1GB respectively.
1/4GB is much more reasonable and sampling granularity <50m is surely diminishing returns.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Arl

Post by Arl »

Hey Freak2121, glad to see another memeber of the XL Engine forum in here, welcome!
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

username

Post by username »

Nystul wrote:if i can get the heightmap I can make a terrain sampler that will work with it I think

But it will just take over the heights not the texture of course

Btw, the tigonus mountain is just am unintended oversight by the devs I think. Will always look bad I fear. I would just remove it tbh
I know the mountain's just an oversight but it's still one of my favorite spots in the game.

And about the textures I realize that they won't look like that, but it would be really cool if actual transitioning could be added in between the different climates instead of the abrupt change that currently exists.
Last edited by username on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freak2121

Post by Freak2121 »

Nystul wrote:freak2121 what is the progress of your enhanced heightmap? Is it almost finished?
I haven't really taken it beyond just fiddling around in World Machine. I haven't touched it for years (all those pictures are old) so I'm getting used to it again and figuring it out. It helps that I upgraded my CPU since the last time (from a 2500K to a 7700K), so experimenting with World Machine isn't so tedious. Give me about a week and I should have a decent heightmap up and ready for you. :D

For now, here's a 200km slice of High Rock. I need to figure out a way to stop coasts from being so mountainous. I suspect it's due to the fact that the transition from land to water is very abrupt in the heightmap.

And if you want the heightmap:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wu5rsljxiuwah ... 02.7z?dl=0

username

Post by username »

Personally to my mind Daggerfall and it's surrounding religions aren't very mountainous so the most of the erosion looks kind of out of place, just my opinion but I would probably tune down the erosion for that western High Rock area.

Freak2121

Post by Freak2121 »

username wrote:Personally to my mind Daggerfall and it's surrounding religions aren't very mountainous so the most of the erosion looks kind of out of place, just my opinion but I would probably tune down the erosion for that western High Rock area.
High Rock is indeed supposed to have mild terrain, but around Northern Daggerfall and Glenpoint, as well as some of the surrounding provinces, there are supposed to be either short mountains or very hilly terrain or perhaps even a plateau.

Still, these are all mockups and I really value criticism. :)

username

Post by username »

Freak2121 wrote:
username wrote:Personally to my mind Daggerfall and it's surrounding religions aren't very mountainous so the most of the erosion looks kind of out of place, just my opinion but I would probably tune down the erosion for that western High Rock area.
High Rock is indeed supposed to have mild terrain, but around Northern Daggerfall and Glenpoint, as well as some of the surrounding provinces, there are supposed to be either short mountains or very hilly terrain or perhaps even a plateau.

Still, these are all mockups and I really value criticism. :)
I see your point but it still might look a little odd with the vanilla textures, but that's my only complaint so far and a minor one at that. :D