High Fidelity/Eroded Terrain

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Nystul

Re: High Fidelity/Eroded Terrain

Post by Nystul »

VMblast wrote:
Nystul wrote:as the one who fiddled around most with unity terrain I can tell you that unity is shit in terms of terrain...
there is a forum thread where 1000000 ppl complain that the terrain system is outdated like a decade. unity terrain is weakest part of unity
Hm, this is interesting. Any notion that they will correct this any time soon (eg 6 months)? What about plugin substitutes for terrain, like voxel engines etc?
here is the unity forum thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/officia ... em.255232/

lots of talk about new terrain system which is still in the works and no much info about it (not to be expected soon)...

free plugins would be an option, but I don't know what good plugins are out there and I fear that a huge terrain like daggerfall's might always be a really test for such plugins (unity is just not enough performant/optimized to support large streaming terrains well - you might have experienced the loading stuttering when player enters new map pixel in our current solution - and quite some optimization considerations went into it like coroutines for loading)

username

Post by username »

Check out my patch to remove nudity, it's a WIP but it's coming along quite nicely.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Nystul wrote:
VMblast wrote:
Nystul wrote:as the one who fiddled around most with unity terrain I can tell you that unity is shit in terms of terrain...
there is a forum thread where 1000000 ppl complain that the terrain system is outdated like a decade. unity terrain is weakest part of unity
Hm, this is interesting. Any notion that they will correct this any time soon (eg 6 months)? What about plugin substitutes for terrain, like voxel engines etc?
here is the unity forum thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/officia ... em.255232/

lots of talk about new terrain system which is still in the works and no much info about it (not to be expected soon)...

free plugins would be an option, but I don't know what good plugins are out there and I fear that a huge terrain like daggerfall's might always be a really test for such plugins (unity is just not enough performant/optimized to support large streaming terrains well - you might have experienced the loading stuttering when player enters new map pixel in our current solution - and quite some optimization considerations went into it like coroutines for loading)
Ouch that is really a bad news.... :(

username

Post by username »

So is there any way to actually use this in game yet? I don't have a Unity installation and even if I did I wouldn't be able to do anything since my computers so slow.
Check out my patch to remove nudity, it's a WIP but it's coming along quite nicely.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

VMblast wrote:
Nystul wrote:
VMblast wrote:

Ouch that is really a bad news.... :(
Not everything is bad about the unity terrain, but I want to share my experiences and lower some of the expectations here.

username

Post by username »

username wrote:So is there any way to actually use this in game yet? I don't have a Unity installation and even if I did I wouldn't be able to do anything since my computers so slow.
So that's a no? :(

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

not for now

Freak2121

Post by Freak2121 »

What about at a less detailed resolution like 400m/px or 200m/px. They would both still be a fair improvement over the original.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I would stick with the 36m/px heightmap. no reason to go any lower than that.
I just don't know when I will find time to try it out. Not too soon since I want to make progress with talk window implementation first.

username

Post by username »

So it could become a thing? :) I do understand gameplay comes first, but it is technically possible?