Question about textures

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
quasifex

Question about textures

Post by quasifex »

I just wanted to ask does DaggerfallUnity supports height maps for textures? I was playing around with texturing in Unity, and got some nice looking results. I think modern Daggerfall can use those, especially for floors and brick walls.
heightmap_test.jpg
heightmap_test.jpg (90.93 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
Also, i'm wondering what texture formats game is allowed to use right now besides PNG. I have read about TIFFs having the same quality and TGAs are faster to load into video memory. Both of these formats also allows use of alpha channel.

Narf the Mouse

Re: Question about textures

Post by Narf the Mouse »

quasifex wrote:I just wanted to ask does DaggerfallUnity supports height maps for textures? I was playing around with texturing in Unity, and got some nice looking results. I think modern Daggerfall can use those, especially for floors and brick walls.
heightmap_test.jpg

Also, i'm wondering what texture formats game is allowed to use right now besides PNG. I have read about TIFFs having the same quality and TGAs are faster to load into video memory. Both of these formats also allows use of alpha channel.
The texture format on disk isn't that important; it all gets converted to the appropriate GPU format when the project gets built in Unity Engine. :)

(Smiley because the post sounds kinda blunt)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

quasifex

Post by quasifex »

Narf the Mouse wrote: The texture format on disk isn't that important; it all gets converted to the appropriate GPU format when the project gets built in Unity Engine.

Ok, but what about height maps? Can I enable them using xml code like Nystyl did with metallic gloss in his Realtime Reflections mod?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Heightmaps are not supported but you can use normal maps; if there is request for this, introducing support for heightmaps is something that can be considered. Note i'm talking about importing textures, if you import a model (gameobject) you can use pretty much everything supported by the Unity Engine.